Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improved Enfield?

friends,

I was reading an article last night by a former Confederate captain who commaded a battalion of sharpshooters in the ANV.

http://www.cfspress.com/sharpshooter...or-Captai-8731

He describes the arms thusly: The sharpshooters were armed with the improved Enfield rifle; the scouts with rifles of the Whitworth make, with telescopic sights.

Have you ever seen reference to "the improved enfield" is this the shorter 2 band enfield? I have heard some NSSA guys say that shoots better than the standard p53.

thanks for the help,

bryant
    Bryant Roberts
    Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
    palmettoguards@gmail.com

Re: Improved Enfield?

Just a guess on my part but he was likely reffering to the Pattern 58 Naval rifle. It had a heavier barrel with 5 groove rifling and a 1:48 rate of turn. It was tested in Britian and found to be just as accurate if not more so than the 3 band musket at long range. The British army recognized this and addopted the Pattern 60 rifle which had the same barrel but was mounted in Iron.
    Both P58 and P60 Two band rifles were imported during the war but in much smaller numbers than the P56.
    Greg Myers

Comment

Hello,
      It's also possible that he was using the term "improved" as a strictly adjective term...the true meaning of his statement being an inference that it was improved over what had been previously issued to the unit, such as smoothbores...Just a thought..
      Tom "Mingo" Machingo
      Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
      Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
      Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
      KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

" I have heard some NSSA guys say that shoots better than the standard p53."

I am a member of a N-SSA unit, the 34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry, and use a P-H 2 bander. The shorter, stiffer barrel of the 1858 is very accurate. I also have a P-H 1853, but prefer the 1858.
        Gil Davis Tercenio

"A man with a rifle is a citizen; a man without one is merely a subject." - the late Mark Horton, Captain of Co G, 28th Ala Inf CSA, a real hero

Comment

Hallo!

It is always hard to impossible to know what a Period writer was thinking when he penned his words.

While there are P1856, P1858, and P1860 Rifles, even Ordnance folks were lax and causal about listings their often being records as "Rifles, Enfield calbre .577" or "Enfield Short Rifles," or "Enfield Rifles (short)."
          IIRC, John Hun tmorgan refered to Enfield rifles as the "medium Enfield" for some reason, perhaps a referecne to muskets, rifles, and musketoons/carbines.

And then there are writers who make Enfield Rifle-Muskets "rifles."

And last but not least, there are writers who wrote about "Enfield smooth-bores," so an "improved Enfield" could be just the P1853-3 RM for that matter.

The most PEC was the P1856 Rifle, as IIRC only about 2000 P1858 NAval Rifles were imorted. (OF course if one is in a unit issued with P1858 Naval Rifles, it is a horse of a different color.)

And on a sour note to end, the PH and the Italian clone P1858 Naval Rifle is kinda/sorta but not quite a P1858 Naval Rifle.

Curt

Hard to know...
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
          X