Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

British Knapsack: Is this Good For Civil War?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Knapsack: Is this Good For Civil War?

Hi All.....for years I have done a British Infantry Impression(1812 and 1856) and have had this knapsack. Recently upgrading and refocusing on Civil War, I have seen knapsacks out there which resemble this one I have. I have attached several photos for members to peruse and I would like to know if this knapsack is acceptable for Civil War use.
    (That said, when answering, don't worry about what unit I'm doing etc, I'll sort that out. Also, the blanket is just a gray wool blanket that has been on there for years, I have great Federal and CS blankets I have purchased recently;ie, Brooke's repro, Childs civilian and ******** US blanket)

Here are some dimensions:
    15 inches x 17 inches on the frame, 4 inches deep

The "44th" (IF the knapsack is usuable, I'm willing to paint over)...with that I'll need a suggestion on what type of paint to use to go over the knapsack area.

I do not remember who made it, but is was custom made (maybe by John Gattis) it is definitely not a "sutler row" knapsack. I do have the book "Entrepot" , which, as soon as I get finished with the Wilson's Creek book I'm reading, I will tackle that.

If it is good for CS or US or neither, 1862 only, part or all of the war.....I'm asking today as I want to know how to proceed. It seems to be a very nice constructed solid British Knapsack, but if the consensus is it won't work for CW on AC standards...so be it.

Thanks to any and all of you for your help on this, Mike
    Attached Files
    Michael T. Boyd
    4th Texas Infantry
    Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
    (Great Great Grandson of Thomas Howey,
    38th Illinois Volunteer Infantry 1861-1865,
    Survivor of Cahaba Prison,AL 1865)
    Company of Military Historians

Re: British Knapsack: Is this Good For Civil War?

Sending you a PM.
    Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
    Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

Re: British Knapsack: Is this Good For Civil War?

This appears to be an early, 1812, period "Trotter" knapsack. As some surplus knapsacks were sold it is not out of the question ,but certainly dubious.
      The blanket straps were no longer used by 1860 and the blanket was folded and strapped to the back. The mess tin would have been worn on the top.
      Read further on this and you may discard it or adapt it.
      More info on request.

Erik Simundson
      Erik Simundson

Comment

Working...
      X