Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Authentic Use of First Call or Bugle or both!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Authentic Use of First Call or Bugle or both!?

Okay I did a search here on the forums, and if i missed it I apologize. This is a long discussed, argued, debated topic I have been hearing or have taken part in a few time in my 15+ years in the hobby. Some say, the term "First Call" was used in the absence of a bugler, or if the first sergeant wanted the men to assemble shortly. Others say no, it was all done by the bugle and the term "First Call" was never used. I know i have read a few instances in diaries where the author stated that the first sgt. yelled first call, or heard first call given... What say you AC?
    Lt. Frank J Ruiz Jr.
    14th Regt. NYSM
    E. Company
    "Red Legged Devils"
    "[U]Union Volunteer[/U]s"
    "Des Teufels Mess"

Re: The Authentic Use of First Call or Bugle or both!?

Don't forget about drummers. Drummers outnumbered buglers in the infantry manyfold. So the most common "first call" would be the Drummer's Call. Drummer's Call was beat 10 minutes prior to calls being beat by the full drum corps. As far as yelling "first call" is concerned, reenactors do it because there are seldom competent drummers around.

Will Chappell

Comment

Re: The Authentic Use of First Call or Bugle or both!?

Just adding my own opinion here. Along with the lack of competent drummers and scarcity of buglers is in some instances of the complete lack of knowledge of all the army bugle calls at that time. Not just infantry, but artillery and cavalry. I've participated in a few events that when 1st Sgt.'s call was sounded I was the only one in the entire group who knew what it was and responded properly. I died a little inside as the Sgt. Maj. had to walk up and down the camp telling people it was 1st Sgt.'s call. I yell the term "first call" because of this fact. I can never be too sure that in a mixed unit that everyone knows all the calls.

H.M. Tommarello
      [SIZE="4"][B][FONT="Garamond"]Mike Tommarello[/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/SIZE]
      [I]"Iron City Mess"[/I]
      9th Pennsylvania Reserves
      Co. A[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
      X