David Herold (image)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Herold (image)

I was curious to see what people had to say about David Herolds vest. To my eye it would apear to be a "military" style vest. Thoughts?
    Attached Files
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Re: David Herold (image)

It does have a military-look to it... military looking clothing was somewhat "en vogue" among the civilian population so that wouldn't necessarily be out of the ordinary.
    Paul Calloway
    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
    Proud Member of the GHTI
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
    Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

That is kind of what I was thinking, but I have never seen it done before in any other period images. Interesting.
      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

Comment

Look a little more closely and you can see that one side of the vest collar is folded down. The right in the image. I believe it to be a military vest but deserves note that part of the collar would be turned down noting civilian in fashion.

Art Milbert
        [FONT=Georgia]Art Milbert[/FONT][SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Tenthtexas
          Look a little more closely and you can see that one side of the vest collar is folded down. The right in the image. I believe it to be a military vest but deserves note that part of the collar would be turned down noting civilian in fashion.

Art Milbert
          Art

This may be due to the fact he has been stuffed into the hold of the USS Saugus with a bag over his head for the last 3 days. As you can see in the photo of George Atzerodt, if you look at the top button hole, his vest may be of military cut as well. I think these are civilian vests of military fashion.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by hireddutchcutthroat; 03-03-2004, 01:00 PM.
          Robert Johnson

Comment

Art,

I respectfully disagree that the vest collar is folded down, as seen the the attached enlarged section of the collar, the 'fold' you are seeing is nothing more than the shadows and rolls of the vest as it lays around the shoulder/clavical area . . . Also the necktie he is wearing gets in the way of a clear view . . .

But when viewing the enlargement you can clearly see that the vest has a stand up collar which is 'standing', not folded down . . .

More interesting even, is when you view the lower torso section (second attachment) of the vest he is wearing, a button is on either side near the small flap pockets ...
            Perhaps to be used with a watch chain, or who knows?!

Anyhow, yes this is a civilian vest, with a military inspired flair.
            Attached Files
            Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
            – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Originally posted by hireddutchcutthroat
              Art

This may be due to the fact he has been stuffed into the hold of the USS Saugus with a bag over his head for the last 3 days. As you can see in the photo of George Atzerodt, if you look at the top button hole, his vest may be of military cut as well. I think these are civilian vests of military fashion.
              Bob,

I also respectfully disagree with your asertion that Atzerodt's vest is a standup military cut as well . . .

If you look at the attached enlargement of his neck area, you'll plainly see that around the top vest button that the roll of the vest edging at the neck line has been tailored in a fold down lapel fashion. Also the smoothness of the lay of the vest collar around the collar area of his white shirt points to this being tailored in a lapel fashion rather than a 'stand up' 'military' style...

If indeed 'Georgie the Traitor' here :baring_te , were to button up all his vest buttons, he'd have a neat short lapel on his vest . . .

I like his striped tie though!

Trust me on this one fellas, I used to work at Brooks Brothers... :nerd:
              Attached Files
              Ryan B.Weddle

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."

Comment

Ryan

Thanks for the magnification. I agree with you that he would have a short notched collar (thanks Ryan). These photos are "food for thought" when choosing a civilian vest.

Gotta git me one of them swank ties! :teeth_smi
                Last edited by hireddutchcutthroat; 03-03-2004, 02:46 PM.
                Robert Johnson

Comment

Great detail on this coat as well. Note the material and the trimming on the lapel.
                  Robert Johnson

Comment

While we're looking at images of the Lincoln conspirators (guilty traitorous muderers, if you ask me) and whether or not the cut of their clothes is military in nature, I can without a doubt say that the dress of John Surratt is absolutely so in style:

TITLE: Surratt, John A. son of Mrs. Mary Surratt, one of Lincoln conspirators
                    Last edited by RyanBWeddle; 03-04-2004, 02:01 PM.
                    Ryan B.Weddle

Comment

The trimming on the vest and jacket are tried and true fashion add-ons, being bound edges.
                      Joseph Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by RyanBWeddle
                        While we're looking at images of the Lincoln conspirators (guilty traitorous muderers, if you ask me) and whether or not the cut of their clothes is military in nature, I can without a doubt say that the dress of John Surratt is absolutely so in style:

TITLE: Surratt, John A. son of Mrs. Mary Surratt, one of Lincoln conspirators
                        http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cwpbh.04322
                        Was this after he joined the Papal Zouaves?
                        Robert Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by hireddutchcutthroat
                          Was this after he joined the Papal Zouaves?
                          Yes, I believe it was taken in Naples, or thereafter.
                          Ryan B.Weddle

Comment

Working...
                          X