23rd Illinois Irish Brigade uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23rd Illinois Irish Brigade uniform

The Irish Brigade-- The Irish Regiment is now full. The number is 844. The contract for uniforms for one thousand men was let yesterday by the county War Committee....the fatigue dress is to be of a gray shirt, and gray pantaloons, trimmed with green cord; blue jacket with green facings and blue army regulation cap.

CHICAGO EVENING JOURNAL- JUNE 14TH, 1861.

THE IRISH BRIGADE UNIFORM-

The uniform of the Irish Brigade was delivered at the Barracks Saturday afternoon. They consist of gray pants, and a navy blue cloth jacket, with green collar and green stripes on the shoulders....the shoes furnished look to be good and serviceable, the socks are of wool and the best articles to be obtained.

REPUBLICAN AND TELEGRAPH--JULY 11, 1861. [DIXON, ILLINOIS].

They also received Army Regulation blankets-- Fred Todd has them issued 1855 rifled muskets--1,000.

I heard the boys are doing Lexington next month. I wish I was there. For Kip Lindburg e-mail me at CSuniforms@hotmail.com

CSuniforms
    Tom Arliskas
    Tom Arliskas

Re: 23rd Illinois Irish Brigade uniform

Seeing Todd's having said they were issued 1855 rifled muskets made me curious if they were issued 55's from the start... So I went to Arming the Suckers, so for anyone else who may have wondered... The Quarterly Ordnance Stores have them issued "Enfield R.M" from the 4th qtr. 1862 until the 4th qrt. 1864 when they recieved "U.S. R.M. m/ 1855-1863." Cool to know too that they were issued 653 "Enfield R.M. sword bayonet[s]" too...

Tom, thanks for the research on the uniforms, I bet they looked dandy!
    Last edited by The Egyptian Homeguard; 08-28-2011, 10:05 PM.
    [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][I]Zack Ziarnek[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [email]ill6thcav@yahoo.com[/email]

Authentic Campaigner since 1998... Go Hard or Go Home!

"Look back at our struggle for Freedom, Trace our present day's strength to its source, And you'll find that this country's pathway to glory, Is strewn with the bones of the horse." Anonymous

Comment

Tom,

Many thanks for the information! I'm emailing what I have- mostly from the Chicago Tribune but some from Cook County itself.

Take care,
      kip
      Kip Lindberg

Comment

Kip, Your inbox for Authentic Campaigner was full! My messages were bouncing back to me. I have more on the Irish Brigade and on the 1st Illinois Cav.

CSuniforms
        Tom Arliskas
        Tom Arliskas

Comment

For anyone interested in the 23rd Illinois, Company A was from Detroit. Here is a little additional information about them

The Jackson Guards a.k.a. Detroit Jackson Guards (Detroit, Wayne County) was formed in 1860 by a group of patriotic Irish-American citizens from Detroit. They had an image of their namesake, Andrew Jackson, on their flag. They decided that they would wear gray uniforms with buff facings and some appropriate color trim befitting their name, possibly green. Captain Mark McGraw was the first commander. In 1860 they were known to carry Minnie rifles.

Soon after the start of the Civil War the company thought they were going to be in one of the state’s first two regiments. James McGrath came to their armory and measured the men. They received uniforms like the 1st Michigan Three Month Volunteer Infantry Regiment to include dark blue 9-button roundabouts and dark blue trousers and forage caps. They also received dark blue overcoats with capes. Prior to departing they were attempting to obtain uniforms for the new recruits. it should be noted that Michigan was no longer issuing the 9-button roundabout, and had switched to the dark blue 5-button Michigan blouse. It is unknown if any recruits received uniforms before departing Michigan.

William T. Carr
          Major MP MIARNG (retired)
          Company of Military Historians
          William Carr

Comment

Working...
          X