Soldiers wearing English accoutrements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldiers wearing English accoutrements

Does anyone have any information on this soldier? It was posted on the AC back in 2008, but the only information I have is that he belonged to the 45th GA regiment, and his name was Johnson.
    I am trying to do some research on photos of CS soldiers wearing full sets of English accoutrements. Any help with this, or if anyone has other photos of soldiers wearing tis equipment will be most welcome.
    I have seen the two pictures in Tom Arliskas' book, and all the soldiers I have found so far are Georgians.

Dave Burt
    Last edited by DBURT; 08-30-2011, 12:04 PM.
    David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Re: Soldiers wearing English accoutrements

Here's a couple of guys from the 61st GA. I have also seen a couple of Floridians wearing snake buckles.
    Attached Files
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Bob, that is a fantastic image, many thanks. I already have a picture of Hilary T Wright of the 61st Georgia in full English accoutrements; this is great evidence that many troops from the 61st were issued English gear.
      Do you know the men's names?

Dave Burt
      David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Comment

Sorry, Dave. I do not.
        Bob Williams

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Thanks anyway Bob, it is a great image and sheds more light on English accoutrements being issued to the 61st Georgia.
          If anyone has information on the original photo I posted please let me know.

Dave Burt

Comment

And here's Lewis F. Gay of the 4th Florida Infantry. Photo from Florida Archiuves in Tallahassee.
            Attached Files
            Bob Williams

Comment

Another great image thanks Bob. It just goes to show that Huse's purchasing efforts in England paid off handsomely. Those 34,000 + sets of accoutrements imported by February 1863 certainly were used widely.
              Do you have a source for the photo of the two soldiers of the 61st Georgia you originally posted? That is a wonderful image of men wearing full English imported equipage.

Dave Burt.

Comment

I don't. I culled it off the Net somewhere for my own research use. I tried to "refind" it to no avail. Sorry my friend.
                Bob Williams

Comment

I find it interesting how in the image of the 61st GA soldiers they are not wearing Cartridge boxes. They are wearing the Ball bags in leu of the Cartridge boxes and have the cap pouches attached to their belts. In the first image the soldier is wearing a cartridge box with the ball bag but no cap pouch. I've read wear the ball bags in many cases carried duel functions and this is photographic proof! Very nice images guys. Thanks for sharing.
                  [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
                  Handsome Company Mess
                  Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Eric, I don't know why the two soldiers are not wearing the cartridge box or 'pouch' as the British Army referred to it. the first soldier is wearing the pouch with the ball bag as it was intended to be used. The pouch was just a way of transporting the ammunition, it was un wrapped, in bundles of ten, and placed in the ball bag. The ball bags made by S. Isaac Campbell & Co, had an inside cap pouch and oil bottle holder. (See attached) It is interesting to see that the 61st GA reg, according to the pictorial evidence, was issued with a lot of full sets of English gear.

Dave Burt
                    Attached Files

Comment

Bob,
                      Where is the best place to find images of CS soldiers? Especially the one where you found the two Georgians?

Dave Burt

Comment

Well besides the usual sites, I use plain old Google Search and then click on the "images" links. You'd be surprised what shows up. For instance, take a generic search like ""Georgia Infantry" or "Louisiana Infantry" and take a look at the images page. Obviously, your possibilities are limitless. I've found the "images" page of Google to be a great research tool to find many new and interesting photos that are on geneological or family pages. Happy hunting!
                        Bob Williams

Comment

Alan, very many thanks for that. I was wondering whereabouts on the net they were.

Dave Burt

Comment

Here is a interesting photo of a Confederate artillery officer wearing a English belt. Could not find an ID for the image or for that matter any information on it at all.

All the best,

Andrew
                            Attached Files
                            Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Working...
                            X