Soldiers wearing English accoutrements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Soldiers wearing English accoutrements

Wow, that sold for cheep! Was the 6th Mass issued captured Confederate gear from one of the captured blockade runners or was this the equipment purchased by the state from Britain? I know there were at least a couple of New England regiments issued captured Confederate gear.
    [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
    Handsome Company Mess
    Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by 4VADRUMMER View Post
      Wow, that sold for cheep! Was the 6th Mass issued captured Confederate gear from one of the captured blockade runners or was this the equipment purchased by the state from Britain? I know there were at least a couple of New England regiments issued captured Confederate gear.
      Purchased by a Mass Agent in England for the State.

Its very interesting in a continuity of culture way of looking at things to see these pouchs on "New Englander's" as this way of carrying ammunition on a waistbelt was somewhat unique to New England in the early 18th century, somehow made its way into British Light Infantry accouterments by the late 18th Century but suplimental to the cartridge box (See the following, left hand figure has a pouch on his cartridge box strap http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-oQVKFPPrzg...rleyCamp15.jpg) Then 100 or so years later it has come full circle back to New England
      Fred Lucas

Member, Company of Military Historians, Filson Historical Society & American Historical Association

Comment

Eric, I believe it was purchased by the State. The State had purchasing agents in England and were vying with Huse for purchases of arms and accoutrements. These ball bags seem to be the old pattern from the Crimean war. Huse held on for the new P1861 ball bag as it was the British Army's newest piece of kit for infantry from the re-organisation following the Crimean War. The P1861 ball bag seems to be the only style in photos of Confederate infantry and surviving relics in museums.

See thumbnail for a P1861 ball bag at the Atlanta History Center.

Dave Burt
        Attached Files
        Last edited by DBURT; 09-13-2011, 03:32 AM.
        David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Comment

Thought these might be of interest here. 44th Massachusetts.

Nathan Bruff

[email]Nbruff@gmail.com[/email]

Comment

College Hill Arsenal has just sold one of these on their site

Dave Burt
            David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Comment

can't shag the image right now, but Lt. Lawrence Anderson of the 1st florida was photographed wearing a snake buckle belt before he was killed at Shiloh.

Folks, fact is, we need to be reexamining our CS impressions in regards to English gear.
              Bryant Roberts
              Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
              palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Bryant,

This is exactly what I'm trying to establish, that English gear was around in big numbers, and used in all the early battles including Shiloh and Sharpsburg.

Dave Burt

Comment

As a final question on this subject, does anyone know the name of a regiment or company that was issued English accoutrements? Not the Enfield musket, but accoutrements?
                  Apart from the 38th,45th, and 61st Georgia, I know of one more - The 8th Louisiana Inf A.N.V. The whole regiment was issued with them. Does anyone know of any more?

Thanks in advance

Dave Burt.

Comment

Dave, I know that at least one Mass. Regiment was issued all the English accoutrements but Lorenz rifles in place of Enfields.
                    Jonathan Bachmann

The Jefferson Guards

Comment

Any evidence of Virginians being issued English gear?
                      John Wickett
                      Former Carpetbagger
                      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

John,

Seems not at the moment, unless anyone has evidence to the contrary. Most units issued seem to be from Georgia, Florida, Mississippi and Louisiana.

Dave Burt

Comment

Seems I recall there being English knapsack buckles dug in the area of Shiloh battlefield in fairly large quantities.
                          Patrick Landrum
                          Independent Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
                            Any evidence of Virginians being issued English gear?
                            Wickett,

making me think on a Friday, I like it I asume you are referring to a whole reg't like the 61st Georgia? I am of the opinion that once the gear got into the "system" no telling where it ended up. As you know, most CS returns are drips and draps of eq't. IE 48 cart boxes, 36 cart box belts, 26 scabbards. No doubt some Virginians got enlish gear that way, not sure about mass issues to certain reg'ts.
                            Bryant Roberts
                            Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by coastaltrash View Post
                              Seems I recall there being English knapsack buckles dug in the area of Shiloh battlefield in fairly large quantities.
                              Landrum,

From Entrpeot English knapsack hardware has been dug in decent quantities around Iuka and Corinth as well. Yet 5 years ago, if you wore English stuff to an Iuka event, you;d have been laughed at. It is a cliche. but the more I learn, the more I question what i think I already know.
                              Bryant Roberts
                              Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin wore a snake buckle belt in the early 70s.

Sorry, fellers, I just couldn't resist, when I was going through my images of English accoutrements, and ran across this. :)

Geoff Walden
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X