Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Soldiers wearing English accoutrements

Thanks Will,

And the Georgia connection again too. Yet more Georgian's issued British accoutrements. Governor Brown was busy arming and equiping his own State troops with British imports and to that extent sent over an agent called Charles Green to link up with Anderson in England to buy arms and equipment for the state.
    David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Comment

Hi, Dave.

The Confederate Compiled Service Records can be accessed, downloaded, printed, etc. at www.fold3.com, which is the newly renamed Footnote.com service. They're now specializing exclusively in military archival records. Also, under the "Confederate Civilian" files, one can likewise access tons of commercial business supplier records, invoices and correspondence. As just one example, Magee, Horter & George is represented by nearly 250 images of original documents. I believe a free trial is offered on the site, but an annual subscription for unrestricted use of all aspects of Fold3 is quite reasonably priced, and if one is enamored with doing CMSR work, it's a must.

Cheers,

Bob McDonald
      Bob McDonald

Comment

Hi Bob,
        Thanks for that; I've been on their for some time now. It is very time consuming and a little difficult to navigate at times. Then there is trying to work out the hand writing...

Dave Burt
        David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Comment

Hello All,

Thanks to everyone that has contributed somw great information on this thread. I am still looking for Confederate regiments or companies that were issued British accoutrements in any amounts; so if anyone has any more information please post it here.

Many thanks in advance,

Dave Burt

Comment

Dave,

Now that I think about it, I think at least 2 flank companies of the 17th and 18th South Carolina got them. We were doing alot of research into them a couple of years back and I think that is one of the things that we found, with the flank companies of those regiments getting new Enfields and traps and the balance getting old English Muskets. This would have been in the Dec. 1861- Jan 1862 time frame around Charleston. I'd have to go back and find the records.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Here is a picture of Pvt. Green Sheppard Co. C. 1st Bttn. Georgia Sharpshooters

Will MacDonald

Comment

Will, thanks for that photo. Just found some stuff in the CSR's about the 1st Batt Georgia sharpshooters being issued Enfield equipment through Savannah.

Dave Burt

Comment

Will,
                  It almost looks as if Private Sheppard has an Austrian Lorenz in that photograph. Forgive me if I am incorrect in that observation.
                  Jonathan Bachmann

The Jefferson Guards

Comment

Jonathan, it could be. The CS Marines were using British accoutrements and, in some cases at least, the Lorenz.

Dave Burt

Comment

Dave
                      I had the the original photo of Hillery (Henry) Wright of the 61st Georgia from his south Georgia descendants published back in the early 80s in the Confederate Calendar. His photo looks similar to the gents of the 61st Bob posted. These photos were taken early in the war based on the uniforms. Hillery was severely wounded in the face at Fredericksburg in Dec 1862. I have seen early war photos of soldier from the 21st Mississippi also armed with short rifle and English accouterments. I'll see if I can find for you. Roger Hansen

Comment

Dave
                        In reference to your note of 9/5/11 on scabbards. In 1976 I dug an Enfield socket bayonet still in the scabbard in the trench occupied by the 39th NC Infantry at Spanish Fort, Al. This happened to be the portion of the line that was broken by the the 8th Iowa Inf in an night attack on April 8, 1865 when the 39th lost their colors. My point is that this scabbard also still had the little brass buckle with it on the frog - so I would not say this buckle was used only for saber bayonets. About 5 feet away I also dug 1000 rounds (a box). In this 1000 rounds almost all were standard .560 Pritchet bullets - except that about 6 or 7 were the .54 New Model Sharps carbine bullets. Must have gotten mixed in at the arsenal. Also interesting that about 10 of the 1000 rounds had 57 in the base of the bullet - the rest were plain. Roger Hansen

Comment

Here are some issues of English sabers and belts to the 1st Georgia Cavalry Battalion:

From the CSR's of Capt. O.C. Hopkins 1st Batt GA Cav:

July 10th 1862 (at Camp Penn as part of 1st Batt. GA Cav)

20 Carbine Straps
                          20 English Sabers and Belts

CSR of Lt. Brailsford 1st Batt. GA Cav.

June 5th 1862

16 Foreign (?) Sabers
                          21 Joslyin Carbines
                          73 Ball Bags
                          73 Canteens and Straps
                          73 Haversacks
                          5250 Percussion Caps
                          1000 Cartridges Cal .53
                          31 Carbine Slings
                          25 Sabre Belts

Aug. 26th 1862

17 English Sabers and Belts

Will MacDonald

Comment

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this fascinating thread. I am still looking for any individual Confederate company, battalion, regiment or even division that was using British accoutrements during the war. If anyone has any additional information it would be gratefully received.

Dave Burt

Comment

Dug a snake buckle keeper on the Howlett Line in a position mostly occupied by the 17th Va. Inf if that helps.
                              Jim Mayo
                              Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                              http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Thank you Jim, it does indeed. Trying to find more A.N.V units that were using them.

Dave Burt

Comment

Working...
                                X