Soldiers wearing English accoutrements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Soldiers wearing English accoutrements

Will, again thanks for that. I also found a document on there detailing another "1,000 Mess Tins and Covers" that were sent to the ANV field park in 1864. Yet again they were to be "Sold to Officers at $1.50 each".
    There were lots of officers it seems buying them privately in the Confederate armies.

Dave Burt
    David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Comment

Dave,

Yeah I've seen that ANV one too. But I'd never seen a bulk order like that linked to the officers of a single brigade. Makes for a nice touch for an impression.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Will, it does seem as though officers were well kitted out with the mess tin and cover, and they were actively seeking and paying for them themselves. This document listing the bulk buying of them and the 1,000 sold to officers in the ANV, and all in 1864. Anyone doing a CS officer impression should think of getting a repro British mess tin and cover.

Dave Burt
        David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Comment

Has anyone run across photos of Brunswick Rifleman's cap pouches in use or references to the importation of the British Brunswick Rifleman's cap pouch?
          ~Marc Shaffer~

Comment

How about some love for the Georgia Reserves.

CSR of A. Pope, O.O. Georgia Reserves

Ordnance stores received Aug. 29th 1864 from Macon Arsenal.

800 Cartridge Boxes
            800 Cap Pouches
            800 Ball Pouches
            800 Waist Belts
            800 Cartridge Box Belts
            800 Gun Slings
            800 Bayonet Frogs

Will MacDonald

Comment

Lovely Will. Georgia had Anderson purchasing goods at the start of the war. Col E. C. Anderson was a Georgian, and he was appointed by the State governor Brown to purchase arms and accoutrements for the State. The guns were purchased by Sinclair, Hamilton & Co, and he had contracts for accoutrements from A. Ross & Co of Bermondsey, London.
              Highly unusual for the 'Ball Pouches (Ball Bags) being issued this late on. Most had been returned as 'scrap' leather by 1864.

Dave Burt

Comment

Marc, I have not seen any CS soldiers, sailors or marines with that pouch. It was being replaced by 1861 by the new P61 ball bag which- as the date suggests- was a brand new piece of kit. These were being bought by Huse, Anderson, and SIC&Co to be provided to the Southern armies.
                However Massachusetts agents were buying the older version to be issued to some of their state troops.

Dave Burt

Comment

This is the Pattern 1861 ball bag. This one is a British Volunteer version with a small pocket inside to carry the caps (The regulation army version did not have that feature)The volunteer version was mostly provided by S. Isaac Campbell & Co of Jermyn St London. They were being sent back as 'scrap' leather and turned into the more favoured cap pouch by the Richmond Storehouse by 1864.

Dave Burt
                  Attached Files

Comment

Robby Mitchell posted this link on the Armory Guards message board, and looking through the pictures I noticed the Enfield Rifle on the right. No English equipment that I can see though. 22nd GA Inf. Co. K. It is photo # 6.
                    Mark Taylor

Comment

I have recently come across this picture of James Bishop White of the 60th Tennessee. As you can see he has the P1860 Pouch on his right side. (you can even see the star indents on the side) I can't make out what the other implement is on his left side though? The P60 pouch (cartridge box) was the most popular piece of imported equipment used by CS soldiers.

Dave Burt
                      Attached Files

Comment

Of interest to me is that he appears to be wearing a plain faced Leech & Rigdon style 2-piece buckle of the type shown here: http://www.relicman.com/plates/imagesplates/P0447A.jpg

Great image.
                        Bob Williams
                        26th North Carolina Troops
                        Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

This one came from a Facebook page called 'Defending the Heritage'. No ID.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	384773_438729306208529_1903747760_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	223760
                          Mark Taylor

Comment

Thanks Mark. You can always identify a civil war era snake buckle by its distinct snake head. It closely resembles a duck, and became known as a 'duck head' buckle. See this example in my collection which was found in Virginia. Later ones had more rounded noses and were less detailed than the civil war variety.

Dave Burt
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by DBURT; 03-19-2013, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Here's a nice image I stumbled over on the internet displaying English accouterments. The soldier is William Sisson of the 38th Georgia. Pardon me if you have seen before.
                              Attached Files
                              Bob Williams
                              26th North Carolina Troops
                              Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Bob, I have not seen this one before, many thanks. Yet another rare picture of a Georgian wearing the P1856 cap pocket complete with Pouch and two band Enfield. These would have been bought by Col E.C. Anderson almost certainly from Alexander Ross & Co of Bermondsey, London with whom he had contracts for both the CS government and the State of Georgia.

Dave Burt

Comment

Working...
                                X