Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who makes a decent repro 1850 Foot Officer Sword ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who makes a decent repro 1850 Foot Officer Sword ?

Gents,

A buddy of mine is going to be a Lieutenant in his unit next season and was asking me about a decent quality repro 1850 Foot Officers Sword. I have carried an original for the past 20 years, so I really don't know who makes a decent copy nowadays.

I figured this would have been discussed somewhere in the forum, but I have done a couple searches now and come up empty.

I don't know where to steer him, so help and advice would be appreciated.

Rich Mason
    Last edited by Rich Mason; 09-19-2011, 10:15 AM.

Re: Who makes a decent repro 1850 Foot Officers Sword ?

Rich "decent" is a tough call. The only repro I would ever carry is an Ordnance Park but being out of biz for over 15 years, they are hard to come by. Better to get an original and if required, get it restored. I have yet to see a Paki sword I thought was good enough, in either appearance or weight and balance.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Re: Who makes a decent repro 1850 Foot Officers Sword ?

I'm proably not the right guy for you to take advise from as I don't even own a sword, but some guys carry defarbed Memphis Novelty Works swords. I have no idea what defarbing one requires and how accurate you can get one. If it was me I'd have to go with Mr. Cooper here and get an original.

Regards,
      Garrett Glover
      Garrett Glover

Comment

Re: Who makes a decent repro 1850 Foot Officer Sword ?

Old thread with similar responses : http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...sword-replicas
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

A good site on defarbing replicas: http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_bench_ws_cfo.html
          Bob Williams
          26th North Carolina Troops
          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I found the site on how to defarb a replica particularly interesting. Still don't know where I will steer him, as I know he is not going to be able to afford an original, and as Doug mentioned Ordnance Park is out of business.

Rich Mason

Comment

Rich,
              Sent PM.
              "Bowen's division sustained its reputation by making one of its grand old charges, in which it bored a hole through the Federal army, and finding itself unsupported turned around and bored its way back again" - Gen. Pemberton's chief engineering officer

Sam Looney
              1st Missouri Battalion
              Trans-Mississippi Brigade

CWPT

Comment

Try here...http://www.amessword.com/...great pieces of work!

Michael Fahle

Comment

Does not work.
                  Bill Feuchtenberger

Comment

Sorry...try this: http://www.amessword.com/

Michael Fahle

Comment

Sorry to shirttail in on this thread. This guy is down in California, and offers restoration services. Has anybody dealt with him or seen his work?

Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

You can search on Nardi to see others opinions, but Tom rewrapped an original M1840 artillery saber for me a few years ago that did not have any original leather or wire and I'm very pleased . I also got a repo scabbard from him and it fits just like the original. Mine is an early variant where the scabbard does not have a throat and fits up into the guard, and he was able to provide that style.

Kevin French

Comment

Originally posted by hireddutchcutthroat View Post
                          Sorry to shirttail in on this thread. This guy is down in California, and offers restoration services. Has anybody dealt with him or seen his work?

http://www.cds1.net/~nardi/swords/index.htm
                          Robert,

I have used him to rewrap a handle on an original sword for me. He was very communicative and did an outstanding job. All I had him do was rewrap and install the handle. I haven't used him for other restoration work so I can't speak to that.
                          Matthew Semple

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Semple View Post
                            Robert,

I have used him to rewrap a handle on an original sword for me. He was very communicative and did an outstanding job. All I had him do was rewrap and install the handle. I haven't used him for other restoration work so I can't speak to that.
                            Thats exactly what I need done. I also need a quality scabbard.
                            Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

bigmick45 on eBay sales decent leather scabbards.

Andrew Atkins
                              Andrew Atkins
                              Company E
                              3rd Conf Inf Reg't

Comment

Working...
                              X