Federal Headquarter flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Headquarter flag

I am trying to find out what the federals had for Headquarters flags. In other words what material were they made of and what size were they?..I know that Obviously the regimental flags were made of silk but were the headquarters flags made of the same material or were they made of cotton? I would assume that they were bigger in size because of the fact they were prob up on a taller type pole..
    Hope you all could help.
    Regards,
    Matt Burbank
    Matt Burbank
    25th MVI Co.H
    29th MVI
    New England Brigade

Re: Federal Headquarter flag

We are having Peter and Paul Luks make us a 2d Corps flag for our newest park site, Totopotomoy Creek (Rural Plains). The Shelton House is on the premises which served as Barlow's HQ during the Overland Campaign 1864. Interestingly, Patrick Henry was married there as well. But in any case, the flag they are basing it off of is at Pamplin Historical Park in Petersburg. That 5th Corps flag would have been similar to Barlow's and was constructed out of silk, machine-sewn, with a cotton corps badge and different color hoist for the division. I am unsure of the size and will consult them and return with an answer.
    Jason C. Spellman
    Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Re: Federal Headquarter flag

Okay, here is the info on the 5th corps flag from Peter:

Here are some pics I took of the construction of a brigade flag, particularly the 1st brigade, 3rd Division, 5th corps.
      The flag is entirely constructed of wool bunting with red machine sewing, but the corps symbol is cotton hand sewn on and 5/8" flat felled on the reverse side. The outside red edge is selvage and the hoist side is 6.34 inches wide, but the outside border is 7 3/4 inches. The flag is 86 inches long, and 74 inches wide. The blue sleeve is 4.5 inches wide. The corps symbol is 19 inches tall overall, and each arm is 14 inches wide. The blue field is 62 long overall and constructed of 3 machine sewn panels, the center one being 17 inches wide. This flag has had several repairs, particualrly on the hoist and the tip.
      Attached Files
      Jason C. Spellman
      Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Working...
      X