Hearing the Enimies Band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearing the Enimies Band

While sitting in camp, Lieutenant Lot D. Young from Kentucky (CS) heard and enjoyed the sweet tunes of the enimies bands playing in the distance. Enjoy!

"When Union and Confederate troops were camped in proximity of each other, the soldiers of the one army could sometimes hear the music played by the bands of the other army. Writing of his experiences in the Confederate Army, Lieutenant Lot D. Young of Kentucky wrote:" (No specific KY unit was given)

"[From our position] we could see extending for miles his [Sherman's] grand encampment of infantry and artillery...[which presented] the greatest panorama I ever beheld. Softly and sweetly the music from their bands as they played the national airs were wafted up and over the summit of the mountain. Somehow, some way, in some inexplicable and unseen manner, "Hail Columbia," "America" and "The Star Spangled Banner" sounded sweeter than I had ever before heard them and filled my soul with feelings that I could not describe or forget. It haunted me for days, but never shook my loyalty to the Stars and Bars..."

I like how Lieutenant Young states: "Sherman's grand encampment of infantry and artillery." ...... "It haunted me for days, but never shook my loyalty to the Stars and Bars." Too cool!

Robert Garofalo & Mark Elrod, A pictorial history of Civil War era Musical Instruments & Military Bands (Pictorial Histories Publishing Company Charleston, West Virginia. 1985) p.57

Cheers,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
    Cincinnati

Re: Hearing the Enimies Band

D-mn Musicians,,,Check it out.

Headquarters, Porter’s Division
    Camp on Southwest Branch Back River, VA, March 25th 1862.
    Brig. Gen. S.P. Heintzelman.
    Commanding Third Army Corp.

A report has just reached me that some drummer boys from the Thirty Eighth New York on a pillaging expedition on the opposite bank were captured by the enemy today, and that a company was sent in pursuit. I know not of its foundation but will trace it and inform you if such be the case.
    F.J. Porter
    Brigadier General

(This is only one paragraph of this particular report. The War of the Rebellion. Series I, Volume II (Part III), page 37.)

This is the interesting part. In a series of dispatches dated March 27th 1862 between General J.E.B Stuart and General J.E. Johnston we find (on page 406):

Headquarters, Bealeton--- 4:15 p.m. (Cavalry Brigade Headquarters)

Dear General: I did not ask for another regiment. I think I have enough to make a graceful retreat; also two mountain howitzers, which I may send back this evening. The order referred to was, I think, for you to move towards Fredericksburg. A drummer boy [was] just caught who is very communicative. He says Sumner’s corps is in force in front of us, and that his corps and Banks’ are to form a junction at and march on Gordonsville. He says that they have three batteries of artillery. He says Sumner has four divisions—Heintzelman’s, Blenker’s, Richardson’s and -----------‘s, three brigades to a division. He says McClellan is still at Fairfax, with heavy reserves of artillery and troops, “waiting to see where we are going to make a stand.”
    Please send this on to General Johnson. He also says that there is talk of McDowell going to the west and that Burnside has had heavy reinforcements.

[Not Signed]

This message is dated two days after the drummers from the 37th NY were captured on their “pillaging expedition”. What are the odds that the drummer in question was one of them? At the time that I am writing this (at work, go figure!) I do not have any maps handy to verify the dispositions listed above. If they are accurate, the little songbird sure knew what was going on, and was more than willing to spill his guts.
    [B][FONT=Georgia]Eric P. Emde[/FONT][/B]
    [URL="http://www.2ndmaryland.org"]www.2ndmaryland.org[/URL]

Comment

Eric,

Being captured as a musician had to suck big time.

Thanks for your post.

As far as hearing the enimies musicians play tunes and duty calls, this had to cause mass confusion sometimes. Very interesting indeed.
      Last edited by HOG.EYE.MAN; 03-03-2004, 03:36 PM.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
      Cincinnati

Comment

The book that I have recently finished on the 1st Minnesota, told of an incident where bands of the opposing forces across the Rappahanock serenaded each other for quite a time to the enjoyment of the troops of both armies. The Union band played many songs that were pleasing to the Confederates, and the Confederate band reciprocated, but while the Union band played "Dixie" their counterpart did not play the "Star Spangled Banner."

s/f

DJM
        Dan McLean

Cpl

Failed Battery Mess

Bty F, 1st PA Lt Arty
        (AKA LtCol USMC)

[URL]http://www.batteryf.cjb.net[/URL]

Comment

The following is from the diary account of 1Sgt William W. Heartsill of Co. L, 6th, 10th & 15th Texas Regiment. The date was September 25, 1863, written atop Missionary Ridge, looking down on the Federals at Chattanooga:

“We rested finely until midnight, when the rapid fire of musketry in our front aroused us all, and by the time we are in line the enemy was turning loose his Artillery, and now at the dark midnight hour, a lively little is going on down in the valley, we are double-quicked forward, and before we reached the scene of action, every thing was quiet, and a dead silence reigns; and what do you suppose caused all this disturbance,? here it is; The Federal pickets had their supper brought out to them, and had just stacked arms to eat a 12 o’clk, when our boys who always wide awake, made a dash on them, and captured their rations, thirty Enfield rifles and a 12 lb Parrot gun, the cannon they could not bring off, but two boxes of provisions passed us while we were in the rear of the picket line... This morning we are again ordered forward, and now in line some quarter of a mile in front of our Artillery. Nothing but an occasional shot by the pickets, to remind us that Rosey’s men are near us. and to keep a sharp lookout... At 8 o’clk the enemy are now busy throwing up breastworks and strengthening their fortification. There is one thing we do not understand, why their bands keep up such a constant strain of music; they are making the valleys ring with sweet melodies from morning until night, and from dark till nearly morn. At 12 o’clk we again moved forward and take position about the base of the ridge, which completes our lines, which are formed two thirds of the distance around . All hands go to work, and by sun-set we have first rate breastworks, made of rails, logs, rock and dirt. Slow cannonading is going on to our left, were are very well prepared for Minie balls and grape shot, but will not do for 6 pounders... We are very much in hopes that we will get to rest to night, but it is very doubtful. Well now for snack and then down in dirt for a nights rest behind our breastworks.”

Comment

Kenneth Olsen's 1981 "Music and Muskets" has many quotes on hearing the enemy's band. "Diary of a Cavalry Bugler" by William Sargeant (who started out as a cavalry bugler but ended up a cymbal player in the Division Band, mounted) has quotes about bugle calls heard from the enemy camp.

But the classic quote you hear is about the Confederate Cornet soloist who entertained the troops each night at 10PM with his virtuoso playing. This was during the siege of Atlanta. The tune he played without fail was "I Dreamt of Marble Halls" (also known as the Gypsy Girls Lament) from a popular musical ("The Bohemian Girl" not to be confused with the opera La Boheme").

Good stuff!

RJ Samp
            RJ Samp
            (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
            Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

This account is wild indeed:

"Although most Civil War bandsmen were officially classified as noncombatants, they were on rare occasions ordered to play their instruments in the heat of battle. During the battle of "Dinwiddie Court House," for example, General Sheridan rounded up all of the bands under his command and put them on the firing line along with his infantry; he then ordered them to loudly play their GAYEST tunes and to "never mind if a bullet goes through a trombone or even a trombonist, now and then." In the same battle, a Confederate band was ordered to the front to counteract the fervor that was generated by the Federal band."

"The Commander of the 1st Maine Cavalry under General Sheridan reported:"

"Our band came up from the rear and cheered and animated our hearts by its rich music; ere long a rebel band replied by giving us southern airs; with cheers from each side in encouragement of its own band, a cross-fire of the "Star Spangled Banner," Yankee Doodle," and "Jonh Brown," mingled with "Dixie" and the "Bonnie Blue Flag."

Robert Garofalo & Mark Elrod A Pictorial History of Civil War era Musical Instruments & Military Bands (Pictorial Histories Publishing Company Charleston, West Virginia. 1985.) p. 57

Talk about "Battle of the Bands," Holy cow!!

It's unbelievable why someone would give these orders during the heat of battle.

Can you imagine reenacting this engagement like it was? It would be Bizarre for sure.

Cheers,
              Last edited by HOG.EYE.MAN; 03-07-2004, 04:32 PM.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
              Cincinnati

Comment

Working...
              X