Authentic Civilian Blanket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authentic Civilian Blanket?

Hello fellows, with colder weather approaching I am in need of a good heavy blanket. If I would like to purchase a civilian blanket for CSA use, Missouri/Arkansas/Kentucky/Tennessee, what do you think of the Hudson Bay Company blankets? Since the company has been in business since the 1790s can one make the assumption these types of blankets would have been available during the ACW?

If so, is there a specific color scheme you recommend? If not, can you recommend another, more authentic, blanket I could use for weather in the 20 to 30 degree range?

Your help and comments are greatly appreciated.

Respectfully yours,

Robert Capps

Re: Authentic Civilian Blanket?

Aren't you assuming that Hudson's makes it blankets the same today as they did in the 1790's or 1860's?
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

For a civilian blanket check out South Union Mills.
      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
      Civil War Digital Digest
      Sally Port Mess

Comment

South Union Mills is great, also check out Family Heirloom Weavers. South Union Mills has authentic blankets for sale as well from time to time for good prices. Chris Utley is very friendly and helpful. I got a monks belt coverlet last month and was very pleased. They also sell some of the best knit socks around. Hope you find something.
        Kyle W. Sanders

Armory Guards
        Pick'in eny Mess

"America has no north, no south, no east, no west. The sun rises over the hills and sets over the mountains, the compass just points up and down, and we can laugh now at the absurd notion of there being a north and a south. We are one and undivided." -Sam Watkins-1st Tennessee

Comment

Originally posted by pvt_jb View Post
          For a civilian blanket check out South Union Mills.
          I second that! I picked one up earlier this year and I love it!
          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Originally posted by hireddutchcutthroat View Post
            I second that! I picked one up earlier this year and I love it!
            What types of blankets have you all picked up from them? The shaker blanket? or one of the originals they sell from time to time? Or a coverlet. I would be interested to know which you are endorsing, thanks
            Brian William Huerta

Fighting Boys Mess

Liberty Rifles

Comment

Not putting words into the others mouths but I believe they are endorsing all blankets from South Union Mills.....

If you are confused on which blanket to purchase for your impression then maybe some more research is in order.....

Or...possibly email some of your pards from the fighting boys mess or liberty rifles and see what they are using for their impressions.....as I'm guessing this is what you are going for?
              [FONT="Garamond"]Justin A. Meinert[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Jam3853 View Post
                Not putting words into the others mouths but I believe they are endorsing all blankets from South Union Mills.....

If you are confused on which blanket to purchase for your impression then maybe some more research is in order.....

Or...possibly email some of your pards from the fighting boys mess or liberty rifles and see what they are using for their impressions.....as I'm guessing this is what you are going for?
                LOL, The question was not for my own kit.

I have seen many of their original blankets up for sale and have yet to see the shaker blanket up close. I was just wondering which ones they had personally purchased. I guess I should have phrased it better and asked if anyone has personally used the shaker blanket, Because the original poster was looking for a heavy weight blanket, for 20-30 degree weather, that may be the best option for what he is looking for. Maybe someone who has one, or has a coverlett can weigh in on its warmth?
                Brian William Huerta

Fighting Boys Mess

Liberty Rifles

Comment

I've got a shaker blanket on order right now. For what I've heard about them they are very large but kind of thin, you should have no problem keeping warm but if you are still worried you might consider sewing some cotton flannel to one side. I also own one of South Union's drunkards path coverlets. It is very nice and makes a great summer blanket, but I do not take it to events that I expect to be cold. It is just way to light to keep you warm.
                  Depending on your impression you might consider a Federal Issue blanket from "He Who Must Not Be Named". Mine is very warm, but scratchy as hell.

Regards,
                  Garrett Glover
                  Garrett Glover

Comment

Originally posted by GarrettG1993 View Post
                    I've got a shaker blanket on order right now. For what I've heard about them they are very large but kind of thin, you should have no problem keeping warm but if you are still worried you might consider sewing some cotton flannel to one side. I also own one of South Union's drunkards path coverlets. It is very nice and makes a great summer blanket, but I do not take it to events that I expect to be cold. It is just way to light to keep you warm.
                    Depending on your impression you might consider a Federal Issue blanket from "He Who Must Not Be Named". Mine is very warm, but scratchy as hell
                    Now that is a response to help out the original poster...
                    Brian William Huerta

Fighting Boys Mess

Liberty Rifles

Comment

Question still stands, are hudson bay blanks suitable for ACW?
                      Eduard Dekker
                      Netherlands

Comment

I did a quick check online for 19th Century Hudson Bay blankets, and it appears that they differ greatly from modern made versions. They were hand woven on looms, and the points were hand-sewn instead of dyed in the wool. Also, these blankets were intended for trade with Native tribes, mostly in the Great Lakes area and in Canada (areas where the Hudson Bay Trading Company operated). Keep in mind, this was a quick glance at a site or two in the internet, and is by no means meant to imply that a Hudson Bay blanket wasn't used by soldiers during the War of Northern Aggresion, just that the modern versions seem to come up short in comparison.
                        Ron Moen
                        Co.A, First Texas Infantry (Retired)
                        CWPT
                        E Clampus Vitus

Comment

I've never seen any documentation for the use of Hudson Bay blankets during the American Civil War. Personally, I would avoid them.
                          Last edited by ScottCross; 09-29-2011, 12:26 PM. Reason: spelling
                          Scott Cross
                          "Old and in the Way"

Comment

FWIW, Henry Hitchcock of Sherman's staff specifically mentions using a Hudson's Bay blanket, among several others, including a blue double Mackinaw: e.g., on p. 285 of Marching With Sherman he says "The brilliancy of that gay new red blanket contrasted finely with the 'sombre hues' of the gray ones bought of the Quartermaster, as well as set off the subdued white -- we won't call it dingy yet -- of the 'Hudson's Bay' blanket with its answering gaiety of stripes at either end."

Sizes and color combinations appropriate for the time are apparently still produced, as far as I can tell from the Company's site: http://www2.hbc.com/hbcheritage/hist...anket/history/

The blankets also still seem to be made by the same company in England.

I would be surprised if they were made exactly the same way, of exactly the same fibers, or using the same dyes, Sheikh, but a little additional searching on your part might turn something up that will enlighten the rest of us. Until then, your guess about suitability is probably as good as anyone else's.
                            Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

The Hudson's Bay Company blankets being sold today are made by Woolrich. You can get a far more authentic blanket for a third of what most people are charging for HBC blanket.
                              Nathan Bruff

[email]Nbruff@gmail.com[/email]

Comment

Working...
                              X