Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Authentic Civilian Blanket?

Rob Stone point blankies are top of the line in 18th century land

http://www.highhorsetrading.com/.....< go there and click on blanket tab....

....I'm going with Mr. Cross on this thread however....we may be wrong...

Maybe (C.H.S/ M.A.) will be along soon enough and grace us with some sources
    [FONT="Garamond"]Justin A. Meinert[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Skutatos View Post
      The Hudson's Bay Company blankets being sold today are made by Woolrich. You can get a far more authentic blanket for a third of what most people are charging for HBC blanket.
      Actually they seem to be made by Hainsworth of England (http://www.hainsworth.co.uk/about-ha...terior-fabrics -- scroll down to the bottom of the page) but Woolrich has the license to import them into the U.S. I don't disagree with the rest of your statement.
      Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Hallo!

In brief and to over generalize...

Hand-woven versus power machine woven.

Homespun, hand woven civilian blankets were woven on a loom with warp and weft yarns and are typically two halves tacked together down the middle to make a blanket wider than the say 26-30 inch limitations of the lengtb of one's arms in working the shuttle.
        "Commercial" blankets were typically a panel of canvas into which yarn fibers were inserted, snipped, and fluffed.

The warmth of a blanket is determined by the fluffiness of its wool yarns and the amount of "dead air" insulation space caused by "scaliness" and density of the wool. One way to increase that for the blanket to be fulled a number times. "Fulling" is a process whereby the wool yarns are made rougher and shrunk by applications of heat and/or agitation.

I have, used, only Wilde blakets for homespun, and a Childs/Gaede for Federal issue. I used to use a C. J. Wilde hand-woven Deep Winter blanket that was fulled four times where the "normal" was just twice. All things considered, it did me well at Minus 8 and Minus 12 degrees.

If a homespun blanket is desired, I would look to C.J.'s past work. Unfortunately, weaving did a number on her hands and she had to quit making blankets. As a result, used they have become more expensive than the 2-4 cents per square inch they used to be.

Several other weavers such as Stone have stepped up in competition. I might would suggest visiting the 18th century "Longhunter" or "Trekking" communities sources.

Although also out of business, Witney commercial blankets compete with HB. However, as shared, the modern versions are not the same. For example the lables are not the same, and folks are unwilling to remove them as it makes it harder to prove one has a genuine W or HB blanket and the value can drop.

And, I always like to share the "Pea Ridge' linsey-woolsey repro blanket. It is linsey-woolsy and so thin and light it is better suited to make overshirts out of.. but somem poor Confederate shivered under it.
        I thought it made a good mosquito and biting flie net.

:) :)

But yes, it can be a "different" blanket concept when one does not want to be cold at an event, or seen as rolled up on a knapsack.... versus say out in the Primitive Woods or Wilderness with just a single blanket in life-threatening Northern Winter weather.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Just wondering if anyone bothered to look at contemporary artwork, or museums with original blankets...what's considered 'common' in the period??

Paul B.
          Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
          (Loblolly Mess)
          [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Paul.....

are you leading us to images such as

A good time coming painted by our good boy Tait....in 1862....
            [FONT="Garamond"]Justin A. Meinert[/FONT]

Comment

You guys are great, thanks. Would the difference between a modern HBC blanket and a vintage one be that apparent?
              Eduard Dekker
              Netherlands

Comment

Hello fellows, I appreciate all the responses on an authentic CSA/civilian blanket for colder weather.

Would anyone who has the Dan Waubaugh CSA or Charlie Childs "blue check" blanket please post an estimate of the length, width and weight of each blanket? I would also be interested in your opinion and experience of each blanket in different climates.

These two blankets seem to be a much better choice then a modern Hudson Bay blanket.

Respectfully,

Robert Capps

Comment

Originally posted by Sheikh Al Stranghi View Post
                  You guys are great, thanks. Would the difference between a modern HBC blanket and a vintage one be that apparent?
                  Yes. Modern blanket finishing processes do not give the same appearance as period teasel finishing for heavily fulled blankets.

Further, I've noted substantial weight differences between various HBC manufacturers.
                  Terre Hood Biederman
                  Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                  Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Working...
                  X