Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead Weights on Civil War Period Clothing

Gents
    I occasionally run across round, flat lead weights that are supposed to be for use with clothes and described as being from the Civil War period. Does anyone know of their use on uniforms, especially officer frocks, during the Civil War? Is this something way under represented in the hobby or just didn't happen? I wouldn't even know where to start on reserching this one...though I did run "lead weights" on this forum with no relevant hits.

Chuck Mood
    LtColMood@aol.com
    Charles W. Mood

Re: Lead Weights on Civil War Period Clothing

Chuck,
    If you are able to post an image of one of these lead weights I'm sure some of the more knowledgable folks could point you in the right direction. I'm not aware of lead weights being used on clothing of the time period. Where have these lead weights been found, in Camp sites? established forts or garrisons? Battlefields? Any further information or details could get peoples information flowing.
    Cheers,
    [COLOR=Red]Kirby Smith[/COLOR]

Loblolly Mess

Too many ancestors who served and events on the schedule to post here...

Comment

I sometimes see these listed as buttons and other times as lead weights for clothing. I have no hard evidence. Hence my question to this forum.

Chuck MooLtColMood@aol.com
      Attached Files
      Charles W. Mood

Comment

Those are curtain weights. They are sewn into the bottom corners of curtains to keep them weighted and hanging straight.

http://www.textol.com/d_11.asp DW20- DW23 ....still being cranked out today.

My girlfriend uses pennies for the same purpose on the curtains she makes.
        Last edited by ohpkirk; 10-14-2011, 11:30 PM.
        Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
        Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

Those are hem weights, also known as "dress weights" or "penny weights" because they were sewn into the hem of dresses. This allows for the dress to drape properly and prevents it from blowing in the wind. They are also commonly used in curtains. I have yet to come across them in any Civil War military garment that I have examined, but apparently they are commonly found in camp/battlefield sites. One explanation that I have heard is that "sweethearts" would give them to their soldiers as keepsakes.

They are commonly used today for wedding dresses.
          Last edited by Lewis Robinson; 10-14-2011, 11:39 PM.
          Lewis M Robinson Jr
          Armory Guards
          Snake Nation Disciples

"They were the dirtiest men I ever saw. A most ragged lean and hungry set of wolves. Yet there was a dash about them that the northern men lacked." Maryland Resident upon seeing the Confederate Army

Comment

and on eBay they are sold as "rare" Civil War buttons.
            Steve Sullivan

Comment

I have encountered these weights in men's civilian frock coat tails, but never in a military garment.
              Scott Cross
              "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Thank you Scott--that touches on an area I wondered about. I thought these might be part of a well tailored private purchase greatcoat.

I own what can be best deceived as a 'tiered cloak'. A cape, with the arm slits pitched higher than the norm, so that most of my arms can come through the slits, and can work unimpeded. From the collar level, a second short cape is included, and reaches just past elbow length to keep the arms warm.

This short cape only works well if the front opening is weighted. When I acquired it, the weight was missing from one side, and affected the utility of the garment.
                Terre Hood Biederman
                Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

They're used in men's tailoring, particularly frock coats, as a shortcut to help balance the skirt / tails. If the coat is properly cut, they're unnecessary.
                  James Williams

Comment

Working...
                  X