Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Identifying Federal Overcoat Maker! Pictures Included!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Identifying Federal Overcoat Maker! Pictures Included!

Help Identifying Maker of Reproduction Federal Overcoat!
    Pards:

I recently picked up a Federal overcoat on ebay that has hand-sewn button holes, a burlap lining, and federal eagle buttons. There are no contract stamps or marks in the underarm sleeves.

Does anyone know who makes Federal overcoats with burlap linings and hand-sewn button holes?

Thanks for any help!

Brad Finfrock
    Yankee Mess
    Co. F., 15th Iowa Shiloh Adjunct
    Attached Files
    Bradley Finfrock

Re: Help Identifying Federal Overcoat Maker! Pictures Included!

T'ain't no hand-sewn buttonholes on that thar coat...
    Marc A. Hermann
    Liberty Rifles.
    MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
    Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Yup, Marc is correct.
      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
      Civil War Digital Digest
      Sally Port Mess

Comment

Marc is correct. I will also add that original overcoats did not have a burlap lining but rather some were lined in a golden/tan wool and cotton plain woven jean that has been described as "burlap." Other linings were wool flannel, domet flannel, jeans and sometimes cassimere. The cloth of the overcoat also appears to be melton rather than twill-woven kersey. While melton was a fabric available at the time, the only materials I've seen in surviving original overcoats have been kersey and to a lesser extent satinette, jeancloth, and even felt.
        Brian White
        [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
        [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
        [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

It appears to possibly be an old Grand Illusions - made overcoat from the mid to late 1990's....
          Tom "Mingo" Machingo
          Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
          Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
          Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
          KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Pards:

Thanks for all the coments and suggestions. Several people have emailed and described the work it would take to "fix" it. While I did not spend that much on it, I might throw it back on ebay as it is a lower end coat.

As to the button holes, they are indeed hand sewn, you have to take a glass and look close.

Thanks again,
            Bradley
            Yankee Mess
            Bradley Finfrock

Comment

I'd have to say that coat came form some place overseas. Most likley India.
              [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
              Past President Potomac Legion
              Long time member Columbia Rifles
              Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by snsliberty View Post
                Pards:

As to the button holes, they are indeed hand sewn, you have to take a glass and look close.
                Well, I'm not trying to start an argument, but I disagree with your assessment of the buttonholes. Let's just say... if those are sewn by hand, the seamstress did not use a known buttonhole stitch and apparently tried to replicate a machine sewn buttonhole. I'd throw it back on the 'bay. Someone with different tastes in overcoats will think it's great and would love to have it.

Cheers,
                Randall Pierson

Comment

Working...
                X