Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Rounded" Maltese Cross Corps Badge

Friends,

In Hooker's original March 21, 1863 circular that formalized corps badges, he included sketches of the various shapes, which are attached below. Of note is that the 5th Corps' maltese cross has rounded sides, as opposed to the sharp corners typically associated with it.

Has anyone ever seen an original badge or photograph that shows this "rounded" maltese cross? Or do you believe this was just a "poor sketch"? I've personally never come across the rounded version, but wanted to see if others had.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PieBoy96; 11-01-2011, 06:13 PM.
    Paul Boccadoro
    Liberty Rifles

“Costumes are just lies that you wear.” –Stephen Colbert

Re: The "Rounded" Maltese Cross Corps Badge

The one in this picture is period. I checked Stanley Phillips book on Corps badges. There were three shown with slightly rounded sides (points, ends whatever) but the majority were variations of the Maltese cross with slight differences in the cross design and sharp points. The ones with rounded sides were metal. One looked to be soldier made. IMO the rounded sides were just too hard to make. I have been cutting out several for an event next year and have not rounded the sides. It's hard enough for me to make a decent cross.
    Attached Files
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Working...
    X