Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7th Ohio Infantry

Hello,

I'm looking for any information on the the types of weapons (rifles/muskets/rifled-muskets,etc.) and accoutrements issued/used to the 7th Ohio Infantry ca. 1861; or any photographs (I've tried many on-line searches including the LoC).

I have tried a few searches on-line to no avail ( an interesting site is here http://members.tripod.com/larry_hardman/) and have been unable to locate a unit history from a local source. Nothing I have found thus far has the info I'm looking for.

If you have specific info on the 7th Ohio and you are willing to share it or if you know a source which contains the info I'm seeking, any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Re: 7th Ohio Infantry

I found this link very helpful when I was looking for similar infromation:

Best to you,
    Terry Dull
    Terry Dull - CW Reenactor
    142nd PVI, HQ - Dull, Samuel Sgt Maj, Co. H - Daniel 1st Lt, Romanus Sgt, Walter Pvt, Co. D - George Pvt
    6th PA Heavy Artillery, Battery K - Dull, Uriah Pvt, Jacob Pvt, William Pvt

Comment

I believe there is an account of what was issued to the 7th OVI, written by the surgeon of the 8th OVI in the Western Reserve Historical Society. Why he didnt write about his own regiment we will never know. WRHS would be a good place to start.
      Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
      Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
      Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

This thread has a ton of info on the arms issued to all Ohio regiments. May no answer all of your questions but might help a little...

Charlie Thayer

"Confederates were looking for some shoes, which were in short supply in the South because of the Union Blockade. The Confederates received gun fire instead of shoes." Quote of a random student in one of my classes.

Comment

[QUOTE=BobRoeder;212373]Hello,

I'm looking for any information on the the types of weapons (rifles/muskets/rifled-muskets,etc.) and accoutrements issued/used to the 7th Ohio Infantry ca. 1861; or any photographs (I've tried many on-line searches including the LoC).

I have tried a few searches on-line to no avail ( an interesting site is here http://members.tripod.com/larry_hardman/) and have been unable to locate a unit history from a local source. Nothing I have found thus far has the info I'm looking for.

If you have specific info on the 7th Ohio and you are willing to share it or if you know a source which contains the info I'm seeking, any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,[/QUOTE

Just Did a quick search of the Company of Military Historians Journal-- two hits came up on OHIO 1861--check Volume 33 issues 3 and 4 for articles by James Kochan-- and Vol. 57 No 3., on uniforms of the 7th thru 19th Ohio.

CSuniforms
          Tom Arliskas

OH, and join the Company of Military Historians!!!!!
          Tom Arliskas

Comment

From the CMH article and plate by Richard Warren: The 3d to 5th and 7th to 13th Regiments, OVI recieved "identical undress uniforms of hats, regulation fatigue blouses and gray satinet pants, purchased for the state by AQM Cpt. John H. Dickerson. The hats were described as "They are coarse, strong, black felt hats, with somewhat peaked tops and ventilated at the crown. They are as ugly as a scolding woman." Shirts seem to be either gray or red flannel.

You can google book search the 7th Ohio and download the 7th histories. There are two of them. I did a quick scan of them a didn't see anything in detail that describes the uniform but some decent accounts of weapons. Ohio contracted for accouterments to the regulation patterns early on.
            JOSHUA MANN
            121st Ohio Vol.
            Yo Mess

Comment

Originally posted by gfchhdgf View Post
              This thread has a ton of info on the arms issued to all Ohio regiments. May no answer all of your questions but might help a little...

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ht=ARMING+ohio
              I offered that same link ... but my question is: What are U.S. percussion muskets? The 7th got about 800 of them at muster in. I guessing they were M1842's.?
              Terry Dull - CW Reenactor
              142nd PVI, HQ - Dull, Samuel Sgt Maj, Co. H - Daniel 1st Lt, Romanus Sgt, Walter Pvt, Co. D - George Pvt
              6th PA Heavy Artillery, Battery K - Dull, Uriah Pvt, Jacob Pvt, William Pvt

Comment

The 7th is one of my favorite regiments because of their heroism at Ringgold Gap. A few things to check out, although they are from later, their regimental newspaper (its on microfilm), Buckeye Blood from Blue Acorn press (has some photos), and also contact the Western Reserve Hist Soc, they have a regimental photo taken in the spring of 1864 (its listed as later, but by the appearance of things, its earlier).
                Lee White
                Researcher and Historian
                "Delenda Est Carthago"
                "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Shameless plug - I have BUCKEYE BLOOD for sale:

However, if you don't want to buy email me at johnduffer@comcast.net and I'll scan the pictures and send them to you.
                  John Duffer
                  Independence Mess
                  MOOCOWS
                  WIG
                  "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Sir, you may find this book useful, Itinerary of the Seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry 1861-1864]. Here is another link which will put you in touch to a page with a couple other books.
                    Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
                    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
                    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Wow!!

THANK YOU to all who responded. I can't believe I missed the" Arming Ohio" thread. After posting this thread I did find the CMH print for Ohio regiments ca. 1861 which was helpful.

From what I've seen while researching (at least trying to) this particular unit "U.S. muskets" are likely M1816/1823 Springfield/Harper's Ferry (? think those are the correct M#'s) and M42's.

I did try searching google books but for some reason what came up was not what I was looking for. Thank you for the link Mel.
                      Last edited by BobRoeder; 11-09-2011, 09:21 AM.
                      Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Comment

Bob,
                        One last nugget of information. On the cover of Military Images from July/August 2005 there is a photo of a member of Company G, 7th OVI from Brad Pruden taken at Camp Dennision. He is wearing a frock with shoulder scales and forage cap. Belt plate looks like a US. His trousers are dark blue, with infantry piping down the leg. On page 9 another image of a Company G Soldier shows a frock with no scales. US Plate and cartridge box looks to be on the belt, vice a sling. This guy looks to have a M1816 musket, as the bayonet is fixed and does not appear to have a lock.
                        JOSHUA MANN
                        121st Ohio Vol.
                        Yo Mess

Comment

Accroding to the Ohio Arsenal Records (Series 2224, BV990) the 7th Ohio was issued 859 Altered Smoothbore Muskets at Camp Dennison on May 15, 1861. The regiment returned 860 Altered Smoothbore Muskets (Seen as Altered US Muskets) at Camp Dennison on June 23, 1861. On the same day they were also issued 800 New Percussion muskets (Smoothbore M1842) and 200 Enfields. As for the frock coats. The main suppliers of Frock coats when the regiment was stationed at Camp Dennison were: McDonald, English & Co, and Breyfogal & Oharra. J English & Co is seen delivering coats with scales. (Series 130, BV1870 Vol 2). The accoutrements were supplied to the state by Cooper & Pond and Schuyler H. & G. NY. References may be found at the Ohio Historical Society, Columbus, Ohio.
                          Christopher Warfel
                          Co B, 51st Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment
                          1861-1865
                          Tuscarawas County, Ohio

Comment

Working...
                          X