Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rebel Yell video clip (yes, a video clip)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebel Yell video clip (yes, a video clip)

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/video/...ound-Like.html

The above is a link to smithsonian.com where you can watch a VIDEO clip from the 1930's of Confederate veterans giving the rebel yell. I've heard audio clips before of what was said to be the rebel yell, but this video goes far above in that you can actually watch the veterans give it and see their personalities as they do so.

I'm not sure really where to put this but I figure it can go in the authenticity discussion to help you CS guys fine tune your yelling. Mods, sorry if this is in the wrong area.

EDIT: Is it just me or at 3:50 into it does the guy doing the intros tell ol' Mr. Powell "don't quit your day job now"? Looks like that joke goes back a while! Pretty funny!
    Last edited by KPavia; 11-23-2011, 11:35 AM.
    Kenny Pavia
    24th Missouri Infantry

Re: Rebel Yell video clip (yes, a video clip)

Scares the hell out of me! Is Captain James Dinkins the same Dinkins that rode with Forrest?

Stan Buckles

Comment

Now that just made my Thanksgiving!
      Matt Woodburn
      Retired Big Bug
      WIG/GHTI
      Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
      "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Wow! Now that sent chills down my spine! Thanks for sharing this.
        [B]Zachary Whitlow[/B]
        Liberty Rifles

[I]"Though I weigh only 120 pounds, when I'm mad I weigh a ton."[/I] - Thomas Starr King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

AWESOME!!!! Sent chills down my spine!!
          Chris Birely

In memory of my GG Uncle, Pvt. John Thurston,
          7th Va Inf Co. I (Holcombe Guards), Kemper's Brigade, Pickett's Division,
          wounded and taken prisoner 3 July 1863.

Comment

It just kinda' makes you smile. It looks like they were having a grand ole' time that day. Thanks for the post.
            Eric N. Harley-Brown
            Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

This is such an interesting video. I didn't get the whole lifting of their arms when giving the yell though. Was it just an old timer doing it hoping to enhance the "scare" effect of the yell or what? Thanks for posting
              Dan Stilley
              Tater Mess/ Holmes Brigade
              [COLOR="#0000FF"]Proud descendant of Elijah and Nathan Mosher- 3rd Iowa Volunteer Infantry
              Henry Hollenbeck- 11th Kansas Cavalry Co. B
              Greenberry Kelly- 2nd Iowa Infantry
              John Riley Stilley- 128th Illinois Infantry
              Thomas Freeborn-72nd Illinois Infantry Co. I[/COLOR] [COLOR="#FF0000"]Killed at Franklin, Tennessee[/COLOR]

Comment

"Give 'em hell boys!" That's a hell of a find!
                V/R
                [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Elliott'sSprout View Post
                  This is such an interesting video. I didn't get the whole lifting of their arms when giving the yell though. Was it just an old timer doing it hoping to enhance the "scare" effect of the yell or what? Thanks for posting
                  I think it was more the fact that he was really old. You have to consider that a few of those guys in the video almost couldn't do it.
                  Kenny Pavia
                  24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

I came across this video recently as well. Very interesting, indeed!

While watching this, I really wanted to use it as a comparison to the project the Museum of the Confederacy compiled on the yell. It was interesting to hear those fellows give the yell with a sort of cadence, and I even noted at least one of them include that lower pitched "bark" as referenced in the MoC study (@02:57).

I know these videos have been linked here and discussed before, but these are from the MoC study, as an additional point of reference:

Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

Do we know what theater these men served in?The MOC rendition was from a fellow who was ANV,so we have an idea for the east.I wonder what the AOT yell would sound like.
                      Cullen Smith
                      South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Those old fellers really brought a smile to my face. They were having a good time! I love how he refers to themselves as "corn feds".
                        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I love this web site ... the REAL Rebel Yell! It brought tears to my eyes gentlemen.
                          Terry Dull - CW Reenactor
                          142nd PVI, HQ - Dull, Samuel Sgt Maj, Co. H - Daniel 1st Lt, Romanus Sgt, Walter Pvt, Co. D - George Pvt
                          6th PA Heavy Artillery, Battery K - Dull, Uriah Pvt, Jacob Pvt, William Pvt

Comment

Amazing ...just amazing.

After the fella' at the 3:45 mark does his version, the gentleman doing the introductions tells him to go put his dress on..HAHA Loved it! Nice to hear actual Civil War soldiers ribbing one another. Truly a gem of a find
                            Aron Price
                            AG

Comment

That was tremendous! Thank God for the Smithsonian!

Simon Sobolewski
                              Company A
                              4th US Infantry
                              Simon Sobolewski
                              aka Jack Slade, Private, Company A, 4th US Infantry
                              aka Augustus Sink, Company A, 24th Michigan, Iron Brigade of the West

Comment

Working...
                              X