Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danish Exchange at Royal Danish Arsenal Museum

Gents,

I just visited the facebook page for the Tøjhusmuseet, or Royal Danish Arsenal Museum. Here's a google translation of an October entry on their wall:

When Tøjhusmuseet new permanent exhibition opens next year, will include could see a series of showcases examples of the many exciting collections that exist in the museum's possession. These days, the exhibition designers started to make the first tests of how the collection showcases to look.

The showcase of American uniforms from 1858bliver probably one of the international feature patches to our showroom.

In 1858 acquired Mon complete uniforms from the United States respectively. an infantryman and a cavalryman, but without weapons. Uniforms of these types were in use during the Indian wars and the beginning of the American Civil War (1861-65). Complete uniforms are not conserved in the U.S. or elsewhere, so even the Americans have to travel to Copenhagen to see these unique conserved uniforms that have never been used. When you see the clothes up close, it is clear that it is as good as new!

Curator Karsten Skjold Petersen has written text or selected objects. Now the objects found from the magazine and is ready to be laid out in a test set. Collection showcases will consist of two showcases each of approx. six meters wide and three meters. The test apparatus consists of a "mock up" of the showcase, posted on the magazine floor.
    If you visit the Tøjhusmuseet facebook page, you can see two photos of the respective uniform and accoutrements items ...
    Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
    Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Re: Danish Exchange at Royal Danish Arsenal Museum

Wow, Ben, we need to drive up to Denmark next year!
    Jan H.Berger
    Hornist

German Mess
    http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

I visited the Tojhusmuseet while I was living in Sweden back in 2000. It is a spectacular museum!
      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I have always been thankful the Danes managed to preserve these items intact throughout the world wars until the present. I can only imagine what happened to the examples of Danish uniforms our army received in the 1850's in trade.
        Paul McKee

Comment

Looking at the images on the page, are the trowsers pleated at the waist band?
          Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
          My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Bob -

The pleats are a feature of the M1855 trouser, which was part of this particular exchange.
            Marc A. Hermann
            Liberty Rifles.
            MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
            Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Marc, thanks for the clarification.
              Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
              My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Guys, the original poster has requested that you please stay on the topic of the US uniform display at the Royal Danish Arsenal Museum. Thank you.
                Jim Kindred

Comment

The Danish exchange uniforms are particularly noteworthy in that they are examples of off-the-shelf pre-war Schkuykill products and not preserved "sealed samples" as can be found at the Smithsonian. When viewing these, bear in mind that there are of course a number of subtle differences as well as pattern changes between these and wartime production. I'd love a closer look at that infantry uniform coat as well as the dress hats. I have viewed a number of images of the sack coat in preparation for an article years ago.

I spoke with a researcher who had corresponded with the curator of the museum decades ago. At the time, the curator had expressed astonishment that these examples had generated so much interest here in the US to the point that it was becoming bothersome. According to the researcher, the curator even cut a swatch off the blanket (unsolicited) and mailed it to the US! I am glad that they are finally putting these items on public display.
                  Paul McKee

Comment

Has anyone on this forum ever examined the Danish Exchange items close up?
                    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Unfortunately not. But there aer danish reenactors who make a show at the Tojhuset Museum every year. I have been in contact with them some time ago concerning reenacting and have now piked this up again. Perhaps I get the chance through them to look behind the curtains.
                      Jan H.Berger
                      Hornist

German Mess

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Any news on this?
                        Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."

Comment

No, unfortunately not. The only chance is to contact the museum directely.
                          Jan H.Berger
                          Hornist

German Mess

www.lederarsenal.com

Comment

Originally posted by CompanyWag View Post
                            I can only imagine what happened to the examples of Danish uniforms our army received in the 1850's in trade.
                            Is there any documentation what the Danes sent to the U.S. in return?

Thanks!
                            Bene von Bremen

German Mess

Comment

Went to their FB page, but never found the images... any chance one of you guys saved them? Thanks, Z
                              [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][I]Zack Ziarnek[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
                              [email]ill6thcav@yahoo.com[/email]

Authentic Campaigner since 1998... Go Hard or Go Home!

"Look back at our struggle for Freedom, Trace our present day's strength to its source, And you'll find that this country's pathway to glory, Is strewn with the bones of the horse." Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                              X