Danish Exchange at Royal Danish Arsenal Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Danish Exchange at Royal Danish Arsenal Museum

Iam one of the danes who do acw reenactment and I have bin lurking on this forum for some time.
    We are a very small hobby with less than 100 persons, so Iam pretty sure you would call us "mainstream". (or maybe even farb in some cases)
    I was a spactator at gettysburg i 1998 but havn't done any reenactment in the US. (but some of the others have)

We usually do a "show" on the friday in week 41 each year.
    (this year we did not, but one about the 3year war in 1849-51 instead)

Anyway, Last friday I went by the museum just before closing to get some pictures. (I don't live in copenhagen, but was there for something ells)

(picture cut down in size for the forum)

And I thought you might be interested in the pictues and the album can be found here:

Its just the raw pictures. (I plan to try to make them a bit better with photoshop, to change the light ballance)
    I know that they could be better, but I only had about 15 minutes before closing and it was a borrowed camera... so did my best.

----
    The last 14 pictures are some of gear from the 1864 "german-danish war" and of some tables and miniatures used at a wargames convention during the weekend.
    Thomas Aagaard

Comment

Thank you for those photos.
      Tommy Attaway

Company of Military Historians, & etc.

Knox-Corinthian #851, A. F. & A. M. of Texas

Comment

Thomas, do you think the museum woudl allow handling the items?
        Jan H.Berger
        Hornist

German Mess
        http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

No Idea.

The first problem is the simple fact that opening the case it a lot of work since you have to remove the glass at the end of the case. And it is screwed with a large number of screws.
          Thomas Aagaard

Comment

Really great stuff! I recall that when Charlie Childs and Fred Gaede reproduced their blanket (now long sold out) it came with a brief history of the Danish exchange and that the blanket on display was the example they copied.

Jan, to your point, I don't know if they were able to handle the blanket. Charlie was able to examine things in the Smithsonian on appointment, however. This was the basis for some of his patterns which have been used in the hobby for decades.

While original artifacts help to close many debates, in this case, perhaps these photos generate even more discussion due to the variants the clothing showcases. A cool, fresh perspective even 150+ years later.

Thanks for posting these.
            Ivan Ingraham
            AC Moderator

Comment

I can't find the link, but going from my memory of what I read, when Fred Gaede made inquiries about the RDME blanket in order to make the NHS blanket, they cut off a swatch of the blanket and sent it to him.
              ~Marc Shaffer~

Comment

If that is the case, then it is even more reason not to sell one of the reproduction blankets if you have one. I thought it was a princely sum ten years ago when I bought it, but now I am even more pleased.
                Ivan Ingraham
                AC Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by teufelhund View Post
                  I can't find the link, but going from my memory of what I read, when Fred Gaede made inquiries about the RDME blanket in order to make the NHS blanket, they cut off a swatch of the blanket and sent it to him.
                  ....:confused_ the link I was actually looking for is this thread. In Post #9, Paul McKee makes mention of it. I could be wrong about the person who actually received the swatch from the RDME.
                  ~Marc Shaffer~

Comment

Hallo!

Does any one know?.... in ye Way Back Daze the Gettysburg National Park Service allowed examination, photographing, or measuring of the Visitors' Center collection (preferably off-season like Winter). Does the new replacement Center do that as well?

I suspect no, but thought I would ask here first.

Curt
                    Curt Schmidt
                    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                    -Vastly Ignorant
                    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
                    X