Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linen for Sharps Cartridges

Gents,
    Not having personally handled, or measured an actual intact Sharps Cartridge made with Linen, I am looking to reproduce this type of cartridge.

What was the thickness of the linen?
    I have the Roundball to Rimfire series among other works on the Sharps, but have not found that specific information (or perhaps I just missed it, I do wear glasses!).

Is there something available today that would be an accurate representation?

Any assistance greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    John Raterink

"If they carried short rifles and shot people far away, they had to be cool"

Re: Linen for Sharps Cartridges

Hallo!

To my knowledge, the Ordnance records do not specify other than "very fine linen."

IMHO, the best option is to copy an image of a Sharps linen cartridge and take it to a colonial craft or trade fair, or mail a copy to an 18th century vendor who sells fine weave "Cambric Linen" which is the thin, light-weight, fine linen used by officers and persons of means.

If one has access to an originall Sharps cartridge, one can use a thread counter guage to measure the thread count to get a better approximation of scaling when it comes to commercial linen weaves one runs across.
    Short of that, IMHO, the "photographic extrapolation" (aka Best Guess) is the next best.

I have only viewed a handful of Sharps linen cartridges, and all I can say is that the "thread count" weave is very fine. I have a suspicion, unsupported thought it be, that "very fine linen" may have allowed for a range of very fine linens to have been used and not all Sharps cartridges whehter factory, arsenal, or contractor made were 100% identical.

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt
    Recovering Sharpsaholic Mess
    Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 12-17-2011, 04:00 PM.
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

That is about what I had figured, Curt.
      Thank you so much for your contributions to my rather ķut of the ordinary' questions.

Dan Wambaugh is bringing me some Linen samples he has as we fire some lead tomorrow. I will compare the samples to photo's. It should get me on the right track.
      Last edited by cwpilgrim; 12-17-2011, 03:26 PM.
      Regards,
      John Raterink

Comment

Hallo!

If I am correct in my Holmesian deductions, you are the one who will be shooting my Sharps before too long.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Yes, yours Sharps has the consecutive serial number to another Sharps about 2 hours north of me. #777 I believe.

So, your deductions are in fact correct. Elementary, I suppose for you!

We have great things planned for live firing come nice weather (about 7 months away!) In fact, not sure how far you are from me, but I would like to extend an invitation for your attendance. Right now, there are only about 4 of us if all goes well.

We hope to reconstruct the qualifications for USSS, have a live firing skirmish line at targets through the woods around me, etc. So, your rifle will get plenty of useage. All rounds will be close in resemblance to originals instead of tailor made rounds being shot out of custom target barrels that are found at many other shooting functions.

Either Dan or I will keep you posted with further developments.
          Regards,
          John Raterink

Comment

Took me a while to find this picture. It shows the linen pretty well.
            Attached Files
            Jim Mayo
            Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
            http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Hi John,

Sorry for the thread ressurection, but I have recently acquired a Pedersoli 1859 Sharps Carbine and am interested in period ammunition. I wonder if you ever made these cartridges and if you could share your construction technique?

Also when I used to buy linen for medieval reenacting we found this place called www.fabrics-store.com that had great prices on linen. I wonder if this "light weight" natural linen fabric would be a good choice?

I wonder how it was treated to help it burn up completely? I wonder if remnants clung to the bullet, harming accuracy? I wonder how you get the mouth of the cloth tube to stay rigid and open when trying to stuff the bullet into it? I understand the fabric was starched?

Steve
              Steve Sheldon

Comment

Working...
              X