X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Federal Sky-Blue Kersey

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
    Paul,
    Thanks for refreshing my memory! What is "kemp"? I'm not familiar with that fiber. I assume its from a plant? I'd be curious how its presence/absence affects the quality of the fabric, whether it makes it soft, coarse, or what.
    John,

Kemp fibers are the long straight hairs found mixed in the wool of certain varieties of sheep. It tends to make the wool stiff and scratchy and it doesn't take the dye as readily as the curly wool. Kemp would be considered something negative nowadays in the textile industry...something to be bred out of modern livestock.
    Last edited by CompanyWag; 12-30-2011, 12:10 AM.
    Paul McKee

Comment

Re: Federal Sky-Blue Kersey

I thought I'd update this thread...
      I had a chance to view Benedict's swatch of the K&P fabric and I agree with Brian W's assessment. It is very nice! Color is similar to the FHW material, but its is significantly thicker, and a less visible twill.

Comparing to CRC kersey, I would characterize the color as a bit darker, slightly lighter weight, and with a more visible diagonal "twill" to the weave.

It looks tightly woven and looks like it would be a joy to cut and sew, as there would be little concern about unravelling.

Thanks!
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
      X