Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 127th PA regiment uniforms

Guys,

I'm having difficulty in determining the uniform of the 127th PA (not USCT) during their time at Camp Curtin in July-Aug. 1862. They were only at Camp Curtin for approx. a month before being sent to the nation's capital. I've found a picture of private Cyrus Lantz in the 127th regimental history on openlibrary.org (http://www.archive.org/stream/cu3192...e/146/mode/2up), but his picture presented during the discussion on the group's activities during Fredricksburg. It seems as though he's wearing a frock coat, but I was hoping to find a record closer to the July-Aug 1862 time period. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Pards,

Jared Byrnes

Re: 127th PA regiment uniforms

I'm working from memory here but almost all the photos I've seen of men from Pennsylvania 9 months regiments show men in frock coats and forage caps. One of my favorite all time photos is that of Ignatz Gresser of the 128th PA, its in Echos of Glory, but here is a poor copy of it:

Will MacDonald

Comment

Jared,

I don't think the placement of the photograph in the book means that it represents the time frame of the text. It could have been taken at any time during his service. Regardless, Lantz is wearing a frock coat, dark blue trousers, and a kepi. The fact that he's wearing dark blue trousers might point to it being an earlier portrait but of course this is not always the case.
      Brian White
      [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
      [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
      [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Call the Military History Institute in Carlisle, PA and see if they have any photos of the regiment you seek from the time period you're looking for. If they do, you tell them when you'll be there and they'll have everything ready and waiting for you to view. Your next best bet would be a search through the OR's to see if you can find some quartermasters record near December '62. All of this is a real long shot. Outside of going to the national archives in DC, you dont' have many other options.

I just checked with the Libriary of Congress. They have nothing in any of their collections. Letters, diaries or photographs.

The Camp Curtian Historical Society might be another source. Big emphasis on MIGHT.

Here's an educated guess. This unit was organized what I would consider later as far as 90 day regiments are concerned. See if you have access to any letters or diaries from the men? They might describe what they were issued before they left home for Harrisburg and then what they had when they left for Washington. The bad news is, there may be no record what so ever. Units may have gotten parts of their kit before leaving home, another part at Harrisburg and then the rest or something totally different when they hit the camps at Washington City.

Who knows where this wild goose may lead you.

This will be of help. It would seam the folks in Carlisle have the following photos and documents on file:

127th Regiment
        Pennsylvania Volunteers

Bibliography

Source: U. S. Army Heritage and Education Center
        (formerly the U. S. Army Military History Institute)

USAMHI
        RefBranch
        laf;dan Apr 92

Bates, Samuel P. History of the Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-5. Wilmington, NC: Broadfoot, 1993. Vol. 7, pp. 147-65 (10 photocopied pages). E527B32.1993v6. (Brief history and roster of the regiment).

Dyer, Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. Vol. 2. Dayton, OH: Morningside, 1979. E491D992. See p. 1614 (1 photocopied page) for a concise summary of the regiment's service.

Gregg, John C. Life in the Army, in the Departments of Virginia, and the Gulf, Including Observations in New Orleans, With an Account of the Author's Life and Experience in the Ministry. Phila: Perkinpine & Higgins, l866. 271 p. E635G8.

Pennsylvania. 127th Inf Regt. History of the One Hundred and Twenty-seventh Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, Familiarly Known as the "Dauphin County Regiment." Lebanon: Report Pub Co, 1902. 335 p. E527.5.127th.P4.

Sauers, Richard A. Advance the Colors!: Pennsylvania Civil War Battle Flags. Vol. 2. Hbg, PA: Capitol Preservation Comm, 1991. pp. 404 (1 photocopied page). E527.4S38.1991v2. (Brief unit history with emphasis on the regimental flags).

Our Photo Archive includes images of individuals of this unit.

The following pertinent personal papers are in the Institute's Manuscript Archive:

Alexander Family - HCWRTColl (Enlisted man's memoir, l862; sergeant's notes in published book, l865)

Alexander F. - PASaveFlagsColl (Enlisted man's memoir, l862)

Conrad, S. P. - PASaveFlagsColl (Enlisted man's letters, Aug 25, l862-Mar l2, l863)

Smith, Jacob - CWMiscColl (Enlisted man's letter, Feb 5, l863)

Swartz, Henry A. - HCWRTColl (Officer's undated letters)

Walmer, Noah A. - LeighColl Bk 3: 36 (Enlisted man's letters, Sep l3, Oct 24, l862)

I hope that helps.
        Last edited by GrumpyDave; 01-16-2012, 02:33 PM.
        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
        Past President Potomac Legion
        Long time member Columbia Rifles
        Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Dave,

Thanks for the response I've shot an email to the director of the CW museum in Harrisburg to see if they have any primary or secondary sources. I remember them having a decent library of sources on local history, so that is option number 1. If they don't have any knowledge that would help me get a better idea a trip to Carlisle will be in order. I'm hoping to get up there this year anyway for the timeline event that they hold. I've never been and the pictures always look cool.
          Pards,

Jared Byrnes

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cyrus R. Stone Co. F.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	222744I was at the USAMHI library last week making copies of photographs from their collection of soldiers who were in my ancestor's regiment, the 16th NY. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Simply fill out a form with the identification numbers (available on-line before you go) and the staff retrieves your items. They provide a pair of cotton gloves and an acid free paper place marker for the file box. Screw your own digital camera in their tripod, adjust the studio lights to your satisfaction, and DIY.
            The copies I made can be viewed at http://www.flickr.com/photos/whs2011/ Here's one.
            Last edited by Pvt. Shattuck; 01-16-2012, 07:12 PM.
            [B][/B][B][/B][B]Bill Slavin[/B]
            SUVCW, SVR,
            Liberty Guards Mess

GG Grandson of [B]Pvt. Willis Shattuck[/B] (1842-1912), Co. F, 16th NY Vol Inf and Co. K, 73rd Ohio Vol Inf

"[I]Dig [I]Johnnies! We're coming for you!"[/I][/I]
            Six foot seven inch tall Union Brigade Commander Newton Martin Curtis as he tossed a handful of shovels over the traverse at Fort Fisher. The shovels had been sent from the rear with the suggestion of entrenching for a siege.

Comment

Exactly Bill,

Those folks in Carlisle are GREAT to deal with.

PS; My avitar is from the timeline event in Carlisle.

Comment

There is also a very nice Civil War exhibit at the Heritage Center museum right now. While normal people were enjoying the presentation, I was examining the sky blue trowsers on the manequins to see if they had the correct diagonal weave found in proper kersey cloth. The AC has made me insane.
                (By the way, they didn't).
                [B][/B][B][/B][B]Bill Slavin[/B]
                SUVCW, SVR,
                Liberty Guards Mess

GG Grandson of [B]Pvt. Willis Shattuck[/B] (1842-1912), Co. F, 16th NY Vol Inf and Co. K, 73rd Ohio Vol Inf

"[I]Dig [I]Johnnies! We're coming for you!"[/I][/I]
                Six foot seven inch tall Union Brigade Commander Newton Martin Curtis as he tossed a handful of shovels over the traverse at Fort Fisher. The shovels had been sent from the rear with the suggestion of entrenching for a siege.

Comment

All that stuff is from the Regimental Quartermaster. They had a budget, I guess. I'm sure they know what's right.

Comment

Dave,

You are incorrect. We made approximately $4,000 worth of uniforms for the displays at Carlisle. While I have not seen them first hand and am unsure what, if any, items they have from other sources, I can assure you all the goods we made from them were historically correct in regard to pattern, materials used, and construction details.

Bill,

Authentically produced NEW wool kersey will not show any kind of weave. The process of finishing the material raises a nap that hides the yarns of the material. This nap was quickly worn or burned off when the item was used, exposing the yarn. An item made from kersey that is brand new should not have the yarns or the weave highly visible, as this is a sign of poor or incorrectly performed finishing. The weave of the material will become visible once used, just like what originally happened to garments made from kersey. It is not a good idea to compare worn and highly used original garments to brand new and unused reproduction garments.

Hope this clears a few things up.
                    Dan Wambaugh
                    Wambaugh, White, & Company
                    www.wwandcompany.com
                    517-303-3609
                    Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Thanks Dan,
                      Iz wrong. And, not ashaed to admit it.

Next time I see that gal at the desk, I'll fix her up too. LOL.

Comment

Not to hijack the thread, but we actually got the contract thanks to the efforts of Chris Semancik, who at least at the time we did the work was employed at the library. I believe it was largely on his recommendations that the selections for the manufacturers of the uniforms was made. I know that I definitely owe him a beer!
                        Dan Wambaugh
                        Wambaugh, White, & Company
                        www.wwandcompany.com
                        517-303-3609
                        Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

I still lament the fact that those five pairs of trousers I made have the visible "kewl/interesting stuff" hidden by jackets or blouses. I changed waistband and pocket facing widths, pocket style, button placement, and hand sewing technique slightly in each pair so they would all be different! Should have dialed back my excitement.
                          Brian White
                          [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                          [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                          [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Working...
                          X