Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regimental Organization & Equipment issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regimental Organization & Equipment issue?

Mods, please feel free to move this post if it appears here in error...I couldn't find a good place for it~

Pards,

I've been looking recently at a couple of Trans-Mississippi Union regiments recruited in Arkansas (1st & 2nd Arkansas Infy.) and looking thru organization dates, was curious about when a soldier would have rec'd his government issue(s).

Case in point;

2nd Arkansas (Union) Infantry;

"Organized at Springfield, Mo., and Fort Smith, Ark., October, 1863, to March, 1864. Organization completed at Fort Smith March 13, 1864." -Civil War Soldiers & Sailors System

Traditionally, when would the men of this regiment have been issued their weapons/clothing/accouterments? Would it have been at or near their enlistment date or upon completion of the organization? Not having studied much about Union regiments or how they are formed, I am very curious about how the process works....the men in this regiment were engaged at Clarksville in Dec. of 1863 against Bushwhackers, and I'm curious if they would have been considered a regular functioning unit, armed & equipped from US gov't stores (even though the regiment was not "completed")? In the Federal Army, how were various units "mustered" into service? By company? Regiment? Any imput is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Re: Regimental Organization & Equipment issue?

Hi,
    I've been doing research on the Arkansas Unionist regiments for the last ten years or so. In general, their equipment issue was spotty at best, and it all depended on the status of equipment at the Federal stockpiles in Springfield. The 1st Ark Cav(Union) was the first organized and best equipped unit, but many of their men didn't have uniforms by the time they fought at Prairie Grove in Dec 62. I think any attempt at impression would be based on when the unit was organized, and then it is probably a 'best guess' from that point on--i.e., a mix of standard Federal gear and civilian for the first year or so, then by late war, all with Federal outfits.

Not much has been done on the units as a whole; I would check back issues of the Arkansas Historical Quarterly--there has been a few articles written on them.

Hope this helped.

Your pard,
    Cpl Bob Mackey
    5th NY VI

Comment

Re: Regimental Organization & Equipment issue?

Bob,

Thanks for the info...I'll be checking out those sources....

From the OR's, it looks like you are right...they were having some trouble early on getting supplies to the new regiments.
      Headquarters District of the Frontier
      Fort Smith, November 2, 1863.

General: I have this day assumed command of this district.....we have 750 infantry and cavalry recruits, with as many more cut off from us in the mountains. These are for the most part not uniformed, unarmed, and until they are so, will be a nuisance about the posts.....The service also requires all kinds of quartermaster's and ordnance stores, including arms for the new regiments and ammunition for all arms. Many of the recruits of the old regiments are without clothing....The officer of the Second Arkansas Infantry reports 350 recruits at this post.....

John McNeil
      Brigadier-General of Volunteers, Commanding.

It looks like it took several months to get these weapons in....
      Headquarters,
      Fort Smith, March 18, 1864

Col. F. H. Manter,
      Cheif of Staff:
      Your dispatch received last evening.....Since my report of last week to General Steele in regard to my strength I have got arms for the Second Arkansas Infantry, which I did not include in my report....

John M. Thayer,
      Brigadeier-General

Another Regiment was also having problems getting weapons, in this instance, a cavalry unit;

Hdqrs. District of Northeastern Arkansas,
      Batesville, Ark., April 4, 1864.

Lieut. Thomas D. Witt,
      Cheif of Ordnance, Dept. of Arkanasas, Little Rock, Ark.:

Sir : I most respectfully state that....ammunition is expended rapidly. I would most respectfully request that the requisitions of the ordnance officer of this district be filled as promptly as is compatible with the best interests of the service....I would most respectfully state, also, that the First Regiment Nebraska Cavalry has never been furnished with carbines, but that the men are still using the Springfield rifled muskets, caliber .69, which they drew nearly three years ago, and that many of these muskets are nearly worn out in active service.....I forwarded a new requisiiton for 600 Sharps carbines, with accouterments, and a full supply of ammunition. This document was sent to headquarters Department of Arkansas on the 27th of February last.....the majority of the men of the First Regiment Nebraska Cavalry are armed with pistols and sabres only....

R.R. Livingston,
      Colonel First Regiment Nebraska Cavalry, Comdg. Dist.

Not sure if you've checked it out yet or not, but it looks like there are some surviving photos of Loyal Arkansans at the USAMHI, Carlisle Barracks. http://carlisle-www.army.mil/usamhi/PhotoDB.html

Try doing a search for "Arkansas" and you'll find quite a few photos (about 20)

Thanks again for the info....

Comment

Working...
      X