Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharps Bayonet

Gentlemen;

I have searched all of my available reference material, as well as a search of this forum, and I have been unable to find the answer to my following question. Who made the original issue "Yatagan or Sword Style Bayonets" that were issued with the Sharps Rifle?
    I know that these bayonets were short lived, and were soon replaced with the standard socket bayonet by Collins, however I have found little information on the Sword Bayonets.
    Any help any of you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
    Richard Jones
    Flagstaff, AZ :)

Re: Sharps Bayonet

Hallo Kamerad!

The Sharps New Model 1859 rifle (excluding the Berdan Contract for socket bayonets) had two sabre bayonets- one made by the Ames Manufacturing Company of Chicopee, MASS that was 26 3/4 inches long with a 22 inch blade; and another made by the Collins Company of Hartford, CONN (who also made the socket bayonets for the Berdan contract) that was 24 3/4 inches long with a 20 1/4 inch blade.

The Sharps New Model 1863 rifle did not carry the sabre bayonet, and lacks the barrel lug.

Heinrich Schmidt
    Company "A," 1st USSS (LH)
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Re: Sharps Bayonet

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
      Hallo Kamerad!

The Sharps New Model 1859 rifle (excluding the Berdan Contract for socket bayonets) had two sabre bayonets- one made by the Ames Manufacturing Company of Chicopee, MASS that was 26 3/4 inches long with a 22 inch blade; and another made by the Collins Company of Hartford, CONN (who also made the socket bayonets for the Berdan contract) that was 24 3/4 inches long with a 20 1/4 inch blade.

The Sharps New Model 1863 rifle did not carry the sabre bayonet, and lacks the barrel lug.

Heinrich Schmidt
      Company "A," 1st USSS (LH)

Hello Again;

many thanks for the info. I was vaguely aware that Collins also made a Sword Bayonet, but was not aware that Ames made one. Many thanks for the assistance.
      Richard Jones
      Flagstaff, AZ :D

Comment

Working...
      X