The Confederate Soldier in the ANV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Confederate Soldier in the ANV

If you are looking for the "fine details" I would suggest you purchase "Letters to Amanda"...there is much in there, thoroughout his letters, of the clothing he is obtaining from home, his frock coats, slouch hats, what he does with his CS issue greatcoat every Spring, etc....all letters written during the War to his wife. His final uniform was issued to him from the Richmond Depot just prior to Petersburg, where he was KIA. Prior to that all his clothing came from his wife's hand, 1861 - 1865...
    Tom "Mingo" Machingo
    Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
    Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
    Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
    KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Thanks Tom I just ordered it along with a couple of other titles Ive been meaning to get.
      [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Roy N. Maddox[/FONT]

Comment

Speaking of English equipment making its way through the Blockade and into the Ranks late war.

"We marched a short distance from Salem and encamped, remaining in this camp the next day, taking a much-needed rest. Many men were barefooted,—some for want of shoes, others having sore feet from new shoes and unable to wear them, and to the latter class I belonged. I started from Richmond wearing a new pair of heavy English shoes and when I took them off at the close of the first day's march, nearly all the skin on my feet came off with my socks, and I went through the campaign as far as Washington City and back to Winchester barefooted, and kept my place in the ranks, too. Several days I carried my shoes tied together and thrown over my shoulders, but was troubled so much by questions and requests to buy them, that I finally gave them to a comrade who had none. "
        [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Roy N. Maddox[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
        X