Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field Hospital Triage

Hi all,
    I’m in the process of creating an activity to simulate a field hospital triage. I’ve written a lesson plan on Field Hospitals and the role women played. To take the lesson to the next level I thought it would be beneficial for students to be divided up into caregivers and victims and play out the chaos of sorting the wounded after a battle. I think they do something similar at the National Museum of Civil War Medicine.

What I’m looking for is information on such a process. I did a search and saw the article on Gaines Mill Field Hospital and I got some useful information but I’m looking for more.

Or if anyone has participated in such an activity if they could give me some insight on what worked and what didn’t.

Thank You!
    Bryan Guerrisi
    42nd Mississippi Company F

Re: Field Hospital Triage

When I instruct my students about Civil War casualties, I use a lot of photographs of the injured from the different books I have accumulated over the years, and a picture of my grandfather who was shot in the face at Missionary Ridge. Those images seem, to me, to do a much better job of "explaining" (such as it is, few today can even begin to comprehend the damage those weapons did) casualty treatment. You may find value in showing photographs depicting wounds and treatments to the kids during their simulation.

Alexander Vasquez
    Co C, 15 IA

Comment

Re: Field Hospital Triage

May I direct your attention to the following:

Comment

Working...
      X