Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Period image of a female cigarette smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Period image of a female cigarette smoker?

I hope Marc Shaffner can chime in here, he told me that Gen. Charles P. Stone was reportedly chain-smoking after the mishaps at Balls Bluff, Md. 1861.
    Jason C. Spellman
    Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Vicki Betts has done quiet a bit of research of dipping by woman. She wrote an article a few years ago for the Citizen's Companion. Here is a drawing of women taking tobacco.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	snuff.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	222832
      Annette Bethke
      Austin TX
      Civil War Texas Civilian Living History
      [URL="http://www.txcwcivilian.org"]www.txcwcivilian.org[/URL]

Comment

lots of women smoked pipes and enjoyed a little snuff or chew..
        [SIZE=2][B]Mark Mason[/B][/SIZE] :cool:
        [SIZE=2][I]Tar Water Mess[/I][/SIZE]
        [SIZE=2][I]GHTI[/I][/SIZE]
        [URL]http://http://www.ghti.homestead.com/[/URL]

Comment

Trying to keep this on-topic... Does anyone have a picture proveable to before or during the period of ANY CIGARETTE smokers? Never seen one other than this one.
          Johnny Lloyd
          John "Johnny" Lloyd
          Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
          SCAR
          Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
          Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
          Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
          Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

1860: The Census for Virginia and North Carolina list 348 tobacco factories, virtually all producing chewing tobacco. Only 6 list smoking tobacco as a side-product (which is manufactured from scraps left over from plug production).
            1870: CONSUMPTION: US has its lowest per capita smoking rate on record - 0.4 cigarettes (The Tax Burden on Tobacco, Historical Compilation Volume 35, 2000)

Even though Phillip Morris was selling Turkish Cigarettes in the 1850s in London, it's probably a safe bet (IMO) the majority of tobacco use was plug for chewing.
            Bob Manzo
            Formerly of the 12th VA Inf Co G "Richmond Grays"

Comment

I believe it was Gen. Richard Taylor who wrote about rolling and smoking a cigarette during a skirmish in Louisiana in 1863. I don't have the book handy, but it quoted his memoir on the subject.

Will MacDonald

Comment

From what I have read online in searches (I can try to post some of these later as references, but I'm at work now), the problem with cigarettes in the 1850s to 1860s was that they were low quality scraps left over from cigar/chew production put into low-quality paper wrappers. Nothing got wasted in the factory, including what was on the floor. The nickname of "beggars smokes" was in use for them, obviously lending an idea of low quality. Even though British soldiers returning from the Crimean War adopted the habit of smoking cigarettes from the Turks (shisha pipe tobacco smoked in paper), people in the States were beholden to their plug/twist/chew and cigars/pipes.

I don't know if I buy the argument that cigarette smoking was 'effeminate'. (Sidenote to this: I have heard rumor that the term "f@g" for a cigarette in Britain parlance came over here ans an insult to people that smoked cigarettes in the postwar period.) Perhaps it was a regional-thing (Texans and Louisians were said to have seen their officers smoking them in some period accounts someone posted on here awhile ago).

From most accounts online I have read, "Bull Durham" was produced in North Carolina in 1864, but these were not ready-rolled. It was a bag of tobacco you rolled on your own in scraps of paper.
                Johnny Lloyd
                John "Johnny" Lloyd
                SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Where-oh-where is that soldier's letter in which he discusses smoking a cigarette, but assures his reader he's not taken to center-parting his hair? Anyone else remember this?
                  Marc A. Hermann
                  Liberty Rifles.
                  MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
                  Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinGuardsNYSM View Post
                    Where-oh-where is that soldier's letter in which he discusses smoking a cigarette, but assures his reader he's not taken to center-parting his hair? Anyone else remember this?
                    HA! LOVE to see that quote! Thanks for reminding me... I did hear about that, but never seen the original document.

:)
                    Johnny Lloyd
                    John "Johnny" Lloyd
                    SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Lloyd View Post
                      Trying to keep this on-topic... Does anyone have a picture proveable to before or during the period of ANY CIGARETTE smokers? Never seen one other than this one.
                      Photographic evidence? I'm sure there are some out there private collections, especially, as Mr. Machingo noted, in states/territories with a large Hispanic population.

There are written accounts of antebellum San Antonio of women and young girls rolling and smoking corn husk cigarillos from the 1840s and 50s. I believe Alfred Olmsted mentions it in his book written in 1852.
                      Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
                      Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

Seems to me that people were smoking hand rolled cigarettes, if any, during the time period. "Bull Durham" was a pouch of tobacco one rolled into papers oneself and this brand dates from about 1864-1865.

The only manufacturers of retail cigarettes in the 1850s (post Crimean War) that I can find research evidence of were Phillip Morris and "Sweet Threes" by Robert Gloag, both in London. No telling if they made it over the Atlantic in imports, though. If they did, I can't find evidence of it. It is possible, though.
                        Johnny Lloyd
                        John "Johnny" Lloyd
                        SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Remember to soak and scrape your corn husks if you want to try to roll your own...the thinner the husk, the better.
                          Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
                          Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

Lola is my kind of woman ... just scandalous enough to be remembered in history.
                            Cyndi Muller

A born-bread-and-buttered South'ner living in the North

Comment

Working...
                            X