Silk Chevron Material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silk Chevron Material

I'm hoping someone can help out here - but what type of currently available silk (taffeta, dupioni, silk noil, etc) would be most appropriate for the regulation silk chevron? Unfortunately I don't have access to any originals, so I was hoping someone here has at some point and would have a good idea. Thanks,
    Matt Lovejoy

Re: Silk Chevron Material

I'd be curious to find a surviving example of silk velveteen chevrons. A friend of mine made a pair for Remembrance Day and I found myself saying, 'I've seen that before, but I can't remember where'. Not intentionally trying to promote "farbism," just hoping someone with better knowledge can perhaps refer to a pair of originals.
    Jason C. Spellman
    Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

I think I saw a pair of silk chevrons at the Wisconsin Veterans Museum when I worked there. You may want to contact the new curator there.
      Scott Cross
      "Old and in the Way"

Comment

There is an infantry frockcoat in the Smithsonian's holdings with silk Sergeant Major chevrons. It is not on public display, but was available for viewing with an advance appointment.
        Last edited by CompanyWag; 02-16-2012, 03:17 PM.
        Paul McKee

Comment

The primary silk for use would be taffeta. Duipioni and Noile are more modern weaves of silk, and actually are from the shortern ends of spun silk...For vests, dresses,linings, jackets, etc. a nice crisp med weight Taffeta silk is the best. It's nearly impossible to find silk velvet,and when you do, it might very possiby be $100+ yd :( Sometimes on the market you can find "silk velvet" which is a silk base with rayon nap. It is very nice and since it is too a natural fiber feels very much the silk velvet. Occasionally one can find some old antique velvet, but itsn' always the strongest .
          Hope this gives you a bit of info on silk
          Regards
          Vivian Murphy

Comment

Working...
          X