Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Augusta Arsenal Cannon's

Comrades:

I have recently done some research into the number of cannons made by the Augusta Foundry. One article stated that 33 Augusta-12 pound Napoleons survive at Gettysburg NMBP. Dr. James Hazlett put the estimated total production of the Napoleon gun "in the neigborhood of 115-120". So Gettysburg could have 1/5th of all Augusta Foundry Napoleons if this is correct. Are there other AF cannons out there? The guns are marked with an A. F. on the muzzleface and on the right trunion face with "Govert Foundry & Machine Works Augusta".

If anyone knows of other surviving cannons, let me know or make a post here. Are there any known AF originals being used for reenacting?

I know about the iron Parrot rifle that was found in Petoskey, Michigan in 2002. It would be reassuring to know if they were indeed restoring the piece.

Any up-to-date information would be appreciated.

Greg Deese
    Last edited by SCTiger; 03-08-2004, 09:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    Gregory Deese
    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Re: Augusta Arsenal Cannon's

I think there may be some at Chickamauga.

Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Originally posted by SCTiger
      Comrades:

I have recently done some research into the number of cannons made by the Augusta Foundry. One article stated that 33 Augusta-12 pound Napoleons survive at Gettysburg NMBP. Dr. James Hazlett put the estimated total production of the Napoleon gun "in the neigborhood of 115-120". So Gettysburg could have 1/5th of all Augusta Foundry Napoleons if this is correct. Are there other AF cannons out there? The guns are marked with an A. F. on the muzzleface and on the right trunion face with "Govert Foundry & Machine Works Augusta".
      Sounds like you are reading Daniel and Gunter. A good book, but it is over 25 years old now. Actually, even there they say that the estimate is probably closer to 130 cannon from Augusta, with the majority of them being Napoleons, but with perhaps a few Parrots.

A recent copy of Wayne Stark's list shows 35 Augusta Arsenal Napoleons at GNMP, rather than the 33 mentioned in Daniel and Gunter
      Bruce Hoover
      Palmetto Living History Assoc.

Comment

Originally posted by hireddutchcutthroat
        I think there may be some at Chickamauga.

http://www.cwartillery.org/ws-reg.html
        Actually, if you follow that link, you'll see that while there are over 100 Napoleons at Chickmauga, they are from Alger, Ames, Greenwood, Hooper, and Revere, but none from Augusta.
        Bruce Hoover
        Palmetto Living History Assoc.

Comment

Originally posted by BHoover
          Actually, if you follow that link, you'll see that while there are over 100 Napoleons at Chickmauga, they are from Alger, Ames, Greenwood, Hooper, and Revere, but none from Augusta.

Yea I saw that, I was almost shure there would be (should be) some there.
          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Bruce:

It was Daniel And Gunter, I had lost the reference. 35 Augusta cannons at Gettysburg, would this include any AOT pieces? How did the NPS distribute these cannons? I would asssume that many were in government storage and were then randomly assigned to the NPS. So could it be that one of the AOT cannons is standing guard at Gettysburg?

I also wanted folks to check their own local museums and courthouse squares for any lost AF pieces. Have you ever seen an actual AF Cannon
            used in the field for reenacting?

Greg Deese
            Gregory Deese

"How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

To illustrate a point....

To be found in the area of the Louisiana Memorial.

Mark Latham
              Attached Files
              Mark Latham

"Mon centre cède, impossible de me mouvoir, situation excellente, j'attaque." ~Ferdinand Foch

Comment

Gun number 122-8 ? Thanks Mark! May I have use of the photo? That could be one of the last bronze Napoleon's to roll out of the AF. It would be great to find out how it got there. Great Job, you made my week! Was this at Chickamauga? Wonder why it was stamped Columbus, Arsenal??
                Last edited by SCTiger; 03-09-2004, 09:36 PM. Reason: add question
                Gregory Deese

Comment

Greg,

Sorry, I had a brain cramp. This gun is to be found near the Louisiana Memorial at Gettysburg National Millitary Park.

I posted the pics. for all to share, so by all means... share.

Mark Latham
                  Mark Latham

"Mon centre cède, impossible de me mouvoir, situation excellente, j'attaque." ~Ferdinand Foch

Comment

Working...
                  X