Parker Hale defarb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parker Hale defarb question

My only concern is the lockplate. New lockplates are offered for the armi sport and euroarms but can any of these be made to work with the PH? If not,what are the options? I would prefer to go with a Barnett, with a Tower as my second choice. Any help appreciated
    Greg Myers
    Greg Myers

Re: Parker Hale defarb question

Greg,

I believe you'll find that most gunsmiths who offer defarbing will use the existing lock plate and simply remove a layer of the metal, then stamp whatever you want on the plate. I have had Todd Watts do a number of plates for me, and have been satisfied with all of them. He even left one blank for me when he didn't have the exact markings I wanted, and I was then able to send it out to be hand engraved.

Hope this helps!
    Dan Wambaugh
    Wambaugh, White, & Company
    www.wwandcompany.com
    517-303-3609
    Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

I can vouch for Todd. I know him personally and have seen him in action. He is a superb gunsmith. Only last year he defarbed a PH for Craig Barry. It turned out great. Todd can be contacted through the Blockade Runner.

W. Bracey

Moderator Hat On:
      Weston, please use your first and last name when posting on the AC. It is one of the "Big Three" rules here. Initials do not count. I was told the same thing too when I first began using the AC as well. Thank you, Herb Coats, Moderator.
      Last edited by Coatsy; 03-25-2012, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Greg, I'd also recommend Todd Watts! His work on Enfields is second to none. He doesn't charge an arm and a leg either. I actually got to see a buddies Enfield today that Todd Defarbed for him a few weeks ago (only took Todd 3 weeks to defarb the gun) and the gun looked like a totally different firearm. Simply amazing work. His attention to detail is unbelievable. I've never seen a better defarbed Enfield in 23 years in the hobby.
        [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
        Handsome Company Mess
        Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Hello Greg, I would like to second what Eric and Dan said. I had the same problem. The plates that are offered for the euroarms or armsport will not work well or at all on a Parker Hale. I considered using a Tower repro plate made for the euroarms enfield. But I was going to have to do a lot of wood removal to make it fit. And I really wanted to preserve the nice Parker Hale wood to metal fit around the lock plate. So I contacted Todd Watts and he did a super job of reengraving my Parker Hale lock plate. I am very proud of my lockplate and although it is a beautiful Tower 1862 plate now, it is still a Parker Hale plate at it's heart.

Dan Stewart

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ParkerHale 001.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	222899

My PH with a Todd Watts plate. The stamping actually looks better than the picture shows it.
            Jim Mayo
            Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
            http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys.
              Jim, I appreciate the pic you posted. Can anyone post a pic of the Barrnett ? I've seen the pics of the lockplate on the BR website, but would like to see one on a musket if possible. I've sent Todd a PM and hope to hear from him soon.
              Greg Myers

Comment

Working...
              X