I wonder why...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I wonder why...

Just throwing this out there, but would commutation clothing show up on the company returns? I believe that every soldier was given about a $25.00 credit for clothing from a source OTHER than the central government. While the Texans are a long way from home, the connection with the Lone Star State is still intact in 1861-1862. Plus some may have bought clothing in Richmond. Drew Gruber has been doing some research into a Richmond tailor's book during the war, and many soldiers from different states are purchasing a lot of clothing from him all the way up to 1865. And to be clear, it's not just officers purchasing clothing, but enlisted soldiers making sizable purchase orders as well.

Anyways some food for thought.
    Bill Backus

Comment

Originally posted by Honved View Post
      Gents,

"Capt. T.Q. Stanford, 39th Ala. Infantry
      Tullahoma Tenn. 19th Nov. 1862
      … we are not So destetute as I onced feared we were for we can now get plenty of Clothing & Shoes all Complete for a Soldier except hats yesterday we drew good Shoes at 4.50 pr Pair I drew Shoes for all but one man who wore large nos we did not draw much clothing… you would laugh to See Some men changing cloths they wash off & burn their old cloths put on their new ones and feel much better…
      … Some in new Suits from fine English Sock up to a fine …"

Does this mean the Confederacy was importing English socks? Or do you think he's using it as a figure of speach: i.e. "everybody got new from the socks up to the caps" as we would say "he got all new clothing from the skin out..."?

Always interested in sock quotes,
      Karin Timour
      Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
      Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
      Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Comment

To further confirm Mr. Guthrie'e point - this is from McHenry Howard's (1st Maryland CSA) Memoirs:

My own pantaloons hung in tatters from the knee down and my shoes were so dilapidated that is was with difficulty that I could keep them on my feet as I shuffled along, and I noticed that many of the citizens looked down at my legs and feet with mingled compassion and amusement.

He is describing his state after the First Manassas. He started the battle with decent clothing but wrecked his trousers and shoes running through blackberry briars (while grabbing blackberries to eat of course). The same fellow also managed to buy a brand new pair of high riding boots in Richmond in late 1864 or early 1865 (with pay accumulated during his time as a POW).

Michael Shea

Comment

Hallo!

"Some in new Suits from fine English Sock up to a fine …"

A possibility to consider, of a as written, transcribed, or printing error "typo" "...from fine English Stock..."

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Schmidt View Post
            Hallo!

"Some in new Suits from fine English Sock up to a fine …"

A possibility to consider, of a as written, transcribed, or printing error "typo" "...from fine English Stock..."

Curt
            Curt, I agree with you, I think he intended to say "fine English Stock" and not "Sock" as transcribed from his letter. He was referring to the uniforms as a whole and their lack of uniformity...

Best regards,

Todd Guthrie

Comment

Working...
            X