Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late War Federal Officers sword belt?

Hello gents,

It has been quite a while since I have posted, or better yet been on the forum. Mainly due to work, and the girlfriend as such. My question is this, I was asked to be a second LT for an event a few weeks from now and my question is "would a federal officer wear an enlisted mans belt instead of his officers belt on campaign during late war?" The reason I am asking, is simply that I do not own an officers belt that actually fits. My fathers is rather large for my skinny stature, and I have no real other options than to just wear my enlisted belt with absolutely nothing on it. How authentic if at all would this be. The event is the portraying a battle in which was part of the Red River Campaign, Early 1864. Any help would be much Appreciated. Thanks in advance gents.
    Shelby Hull
    3rd LA/ 48thOVI
    24thLA
    Independent Rifles

Shiloh '06
    Bummers
    Before the Breakout
    Gettysburg '13

Re: Late War Federal Officers sword belt?

Sorry dude. I've never seen a photo of a Federal officer wearing an EM's waist belt & I've certainly never read an account of that. Could've happened, but lacking documentation you'd be taking a pretty big step in the wrong direction.

Good luck.

-Randall Pierson

Comment

A better bet would be portraying a recently promoted Sargent waiting for a chance to buy himself a uniform and trappings.
      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Or just carry the sword and go beltless. This might be a better idea, see if someone can loan one out to you.
        Aka
        Wm Green :D
        Illegitimi non carborundum
        (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
        Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

Originally posted by rpierson View Post
          Sorry dude. I've never seen a photo of a Federal officer wearing an EM's waist belt & I've certainly never read an account of that. Could've happened, but lacking documentation you'd be taking a pretty big step in the wrong direction.
          Are you talking about an infantryman's belt, or an enlisted sword belt for a cavalryman?

Re: Recently-promoted sergeant - The LoC site has an image of a Federal company posed that features a leiutenant wearing an EM frock coat with lt. shoulder boards and the "ghost image" of first sergeant stripes on his sleaves. I'll have to see if I can dig it up.
          John Wickett
          Former Carpetbagger
          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I would love to see that photo!

I would enlarge your casting net for borrowing gear. At the least see about an NCO belt with sword hangers which can be purchased.
            Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
            Civil War Digital Digest
            Sally Port Mess

Comment

Hallo!

For a one event gig... I would echo the very good advice (trying) to borrow the right swordbelt.

Often times, many times, the more "fiction' one tries to create, the greater the strain of a Believable Image. Or when making Leaps of Faith, one often falls in the chasm.

Officers have "latitude' as they NUG purchased their own kit, either by regulation or the strictness or laxness of the commanding officer. Going too extremely backwards can be an exception that can generally be too rare to be believeable (not that it could not have happened).

Other than that, a newly promoted sergeant not yet having access to officers' kit in the moment, or not having the cash yet...

Others' mileage will vary....

Curt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thanks for all the info gents. Just thought I would ask around and see what type of advice I would get. I may end up just buying a nice one from Duvall Leather Work just so I could have it in the case that I end up doing an event as an officer in the future.
                Shelby Hull
                3rd LA/ 48thOVI
                24thLA
                Independent Rifles

Shiloh '06
                Bummers
                Before the Breakout
                Gettysburg '13

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Schmidt View Post
                  Hallo!
                  Other than that, a newly promoted sergeant not yet having access to officers' kit in the moment, or not having the cash yet...

Curt
                  Agreed. Still, a fellow in that position would at least have an NCO belt or perhaps could have wrangled an EM's sword belt from one of the mounted services.

-Randall Pierson

Comment

Working...
                  X