Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacket from Home help

Hello,
    I am looking for help with my Jacket from Home project. I am trying to recreating a popular jacket given to many southern soldiers before they left for war by family members. Any patterns, original pictures, or just a few pointers here and there would be a real help.

Thank You
    James Peli

Re: Jacket from Home help

Wow, that's a tall order to undertake for yourself, brother. There was such a variety of coats, jackets and over/battleshirts that troops wore when they left for home. Additionally the fabrics, colors, and trimmings were legion. Even if you had particular state in mind, it would still be challenging to pick one style over others. As is usually said around here, a particular unit and time is the best place to start. However, if you have three different units to portray this year in three different theatres and at three different parts of 1862, or [gasp] even more than three, I can certainly see the wisdom, if not dogmatic authenticity in trying to pick one early war jacket.

With no other direction, however, I would have to recommend a gsingle breasted gray frock coat. You see them on enlisted men in all theaters at all times of the war and at least some would have been sent from home. If you really want the "from home " look, it would be hard to go wrong with a woollen overshirt as almost any mother, wife, PR sister could have sewn one. If you really want a shell jacket, some variation of the so-called Richmond Depot jacket might serve you. The governemnt clothing bureau in the Confederate capital was by no means the only group of folks with such a pattern. I'd argue that it was the government who may well have gotten that pattern from the states or the masses as similar garments are also seen with great regularity throughout the conflict in all theaters, too.

As with anything, your mileage may vary. Good luck, good sir.
    Last edited by brown; 04-08-2012, 01:47 PM.
    Pat Brown

Comment

Why don't you take a look at this link:
      Bob Williams
      26th North Carolina Troops
      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Oh, by the way, sorry for neglecting this information. I am portraying a NC regiment during the 1862 campaign when Lee took command of the ANV. If you want info, visit
        www. leetakescommandreenactment.com.
        Now, I will probably end up making a NC Jean "Regimental" jacket, as they are a bit easier to make due to all the photographs. Or even a Commutation jacket or two, depending on how much time I have on my hands. I don't think a civillian jacket would have lasted as long as say: 5-6 months on campaign. So count out overshirts and civillian sack coats. Still sticking to my civillian pants, but looking into NC depot trousers. Look at the pictures of the jackets on the 26 NC webste uniform requirements for early war impressions. You can see the issue jackets are of sack coat quality with Black bars on either shoulder.

Huh,well, guess I just answered my own question. I don't think a Jacket from Home would suffice for a soldier who has been on campaign for at least 6 months to a year now. Most of my unit will just have frock coats or RD II's with crude trim around them.
        Thanks Bob for the link

I am not a know-it-all, just stating my current observations. I do not mean to offend

All the Best
        James Peli

Comment

Are you wanting a jacket to portray a NC soldier during the Seven Days campaign or a cornerstone jacket in which you could start to build a Confederate impression? NC did a pretty good job of taking care of their own clothing wise.I'd do a little digging on the unit you will be portraying. If you need an NC jacket Ben Tart or Charlie Childs offer kits. These are fairly simple jackets to complete. To build off Lindsey, a single breasted frock coat is a staple in an Confederate kit. They are seen east and west early, middle, and late. If I had to only have 1 coat, that would be it. If cost is an issue (don't try and make one as your first sewing project), I'd take a long look at WW and Co commutation kit. They just got a load of new cloth in as well. WW offer detailed instructions and are more than willing to help you out if you get stuck.
          Bryant Roberts
          Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
          palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Suggest you get Greg Masts book on NC soldiers. There are enough photographs to keep you busy for a while.
            Jim Mayo
            Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
            http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Working...
            X