Family Heirloom Weavers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Heirloom Weavers.

Will someone refresh my memory regarding FHW and their authentic historic fabric lines? I remember when they stopped offering the general public their various reproduction garment weight fabrics, but can't recall if they ceased making them altogether, now offer them only on special runs, or only offer them wholesale to manufacturers etc. in larger quantities.

I've been out of the loop for awhile now, so forgive my clouded memory.

Cheers.
    Michael Semann
    AC Staff Member Emeritus.

Re: Family Heirloom Weavers.

My understanding is they offer what amounts to a weaving service. You buy the yarns and pay to have it woven. Large (to the individual mind) minimum runs in the 100 yard range. This sounds like a lot until you realize that most mills start at 10,000 yards.

The resulting fabric is also unfinished. Separate washing/finishing services should be employed, or one can go the labor intensive route of finishing a few yards at a time.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Thank you Spinster. Unfortunately, that is far removed from the wonderful pre woven offerings from not so very long ago. Changing with the times (and economy) I guess.
      Michael Semann

Comment

Now, As a point of historic reference-- I bought all my cloth from FHW in years past-- and when I heard they were no longer going to do jeans for the public-- I asked why? and was told that "some" in the reenacting community would ask that FHW would do a run-- and he would oblige-- then the parties concerned would never be heard from again or complain that it was not exactly what they wanted--the point is that "some" reenactors were driving him crazy and that making carpeting and drapes for historic preservation was easier and a good profit.

CSuniforms
        Tom Arliskas
        Tom Arliskas

Comment

Cheers. I'm assuming that your code word "Some" implies "Known" individuals responsible for Pat's new policy. Unfortunate, but I certainly understand FHWs reasoning.

A sad loss of an excellent resource none the less.
          Last edited by Michael Semann; 05-08-2012, 12:34 PM.
          Michael Semann

Comment

Michael,

Tom's post is only a small part of of the overall story. While Pat did have some difficulties with a few custom runs, around 2004 and 2005 they began delving more into the home decor market. At their first four day home decor show they grossed more money than an entire year of making fabric for re-enacting. With the textile industry all but non-existent in the US anymore, the idea that they could find a profitable new market was astounding, and they have expanded by leaps and bounds ever since (they're moving into a new facility this year as a matter of fact.) This is not a negative thing, this is very positive: a hard-working American company is successful in a field that has been declining steadily for decades.

And they still produce Civil War era fabrics. In fact, we purchase approximately 2,000 yards a year of fabrics woven on their looms, and our line is steadily expanding as well. Gone are the days when short, small runs could be woven from end runs of wool yarn (the Chinese are now buying up the vast majority of the world's wool supply, so there is no such thing as a secondhand wool market anymore), but nevertheless jean and satinet are still being made by FHW.

I hope this clears things up.
            Dan Wambaugh
            Wambaugh, White, & Company
            www.wwandcompany.com
            517-303-3609
            Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Cheers Dan for the background on this.
              Michael Semann

Comment