Holster Finial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holster Finial

I was recently able to examine and make a pattern from a holster in a private collection. The striking thing I found was it has a flat topped finial that appears to made of pewter. Does anyone have any information on these, or know of probable manufacturer? Here's a picture of the finial if that helps. Thanks.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Holster finial.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	230025
    John Spain
    4th Tennessee / 25th Indiana

sigpic
    "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Re: Holster Finial

I've seen that kind of finial before as well. If you find out any information on it, please post it. I'd like to have one repopped.
    Larry Morgan
    Buttermilk Rangers

Comment

John,
      Do you have a better picture of that? It's too blurry to be able to tell anything really. With such a blurry picture, it almost makes that look like a postwar piece.

I'm not aware of any federal issue stuff being made of pewter.

As for reproducing a hostel, I'd refer you right to Nick Duvall.

Take care,
      Tom Craig
      1st Maine Cavalry
      Tom Craig

Comment

From what I can tell it is more than likely a buggy pin. I have seen brass ones on confederate leather goods before.

What concerns me is that it is so clean to be 150 years old. Even tin or pewter would have grayed and turned dark over time. http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...s/confused.png

These are not hard to make if you access to a lathe and brass stock.

David Jarnagin
        :sarcastic

Comment

Originally posted by David Jarnagin View Post
          From what I can tell it is more than likely a buggy pin. I have seen brass ones on confederate leather goods before.

What concerns me is that it is so clean to be 150 years old. Even tin or pewter would have grayed and turned dark over time. http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...s/confused.png

David Jarnagin
          :sarcastic
          The picture is terrible because it was taken by my cell phone. The finial is actually quite dark, almost black. The flash on my phone makes it appear lighter. It was definitely made for an 1851 Navy. The owner had 3 original 1851 Colts in his shop the day I went to examine it, and the holster fit perfectly. No doubt about it being made for any other firearm, as it was a snug fit.

Thanks David. Someone else suggested it might be a buggy pin. That helps.
          Last edited by WestTN_reb; 05-17-2012, 06:04 PM.
          John Spain
          4th Tennessee / 25th Indiana

sigpic
          "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Comment

Working...
          X