Thomas Legion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Legion

Last night I started reading Storm In The Mountains Thomas' Confederate Legion of Cherokee Indians and Mountaineers by Vernon H. Crow. I've searched the world over for this book because I have several ancestors who fought in the Legion and lived in the area they were from. I've always wanted to learn all I could about them.
    Maybe I haven't read far eough yet to be here asking questions but does anyone here know anything about the uniforms the Legion would have been wearing especially the Cherokees. In the first couple pages there is an account of a federal from an Indiana unit who shot a Confederate wearing a turban like head covering. This no doubt would have been a traditional Cherokee turban. Does anybody hear have any other accounts of there dress during the war?
    I've run across several folks in the past all dressed up saying they were portraying the Legion at events. Its usually one long guy and he looks like he would better fit in at Buffalo Bill's Wild West show than anywhere near anything Cherokee.
    Captain Andy Witt
    52nd Geo Vol Inf Co I CSA
    Blue Ridge Mess

http://www.52ndgeorgia.webs.com

Re: Thomas Legion

The Cherokee muesum in Cherokee, North Carolinia may have some info on the legion's clothing. Hope that helps.
    Philip D. Brening
    Austin's Battalion of sharpshooters Co.A

"Somebody put water in my boots" Pvt. John D. Timmermanm
    3rd New York Cavalry

Comment

Working...
    X