The Thread to discuss accurite Reproduction Musket locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Thread to discuss accurite Reproduction Musket locks

I want to learn more about reproduction musket locks (not those that come with Italian reproduction muskets but locks that would actually fit on an original musket or a good custom reproduction). There are good ones out there are there not? I have heard of Rich Cross and they say his locks are interchangeable with originals. So what I want is to identify all repro lock makers that make decent locks, what are the pros and cons etc. I have done a search on this forum and so far have come up with nothing of this sort.

So the list starts with Rich Cross. What models does he make? Are they close to originals?

I am especially interested in makers of model 1861 locks and Type III Richmond locks. Thanks!
    Nathan Dodds

Re: The Thread to discuss accurite Reproduction Musket locks

Hallo!

In brief and very brief...

IMHO, as a former builder... the list starts and ends with Cross.

(As does rear sights.)

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Well, I guess that makes it simple doesn't it. Does Rich Cross offer any locks besides his MONTGOMERY ARSENAL 1863 PLATE and his PALMETTO 1842 LOCKPLATE? Those are the only plates Lodgewood shows. I am hoping to build either a 61' Springer or a later type Richmond musket. Possibly even a model 1855.
      Nathan Dodds

Comment

For an M.1861, why not acquire an original plate, around which to build a rifle-musket? They're to be found w/o too much trouble.
        David Fox

Comment

Hallo!

I have lost track of Mr. Cross over the years. In the Way Back Daze he used to make things on break at work when the boss was not around. :)

As a result, what he had available depended upon what he felt like working on and had the time to do.

Exclusively, I have used Cross Richmond plates, M1855's dated 1857, 1858, 1859, and 1860 with working door and hand slot. M1861's dated 1861 and 1862. I am sure there were others. Might even be one or two in the Parts Drawer still.

S & S Firearms used to carry a number of them.

But I have lost track.

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Mr. Cross has been referred to as the Michangleo of Metal. I have seen his high hump Richmond plates and the low hump 1863 Richmond lock plate. Lodgewood has plates made by different makers. Not sure who makes those plates.

Dan Stewart

Comment

Well, it sounds like he might make just what I need. If he is still making all those kinds of locks. By the way, where is his operation out of?

David Fox, if I build a rifle my goal is going to be to us as few original parts as possible. That's just the way I like it... if there is a repro available that's good I would always rather use it.
              Nathan Dodds

Comment

Working...
              X