35th Indiana Infantry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35th Indiana Infantry

Does anyone have information on the green kepi worn by the 35th Indiana? There is very little information posted on the Internet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	indianapolisjournalsept101861.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	230055
    Indianapolis Journal Sept. 10 1861
    Respectfully Yours,

Robert Edwards

[I]"Sharpshooters, like fiddlers, are born, not made." - - - - - Major General Ambrose P. Hill, CSA.[/I]

Re: 35th Indiana Infantry

"Indiana, First "Irish" Regiment Civil War Kepi Cap. This is the 35th Indiana Infantry, a very famous outfit. As you can see this is green wool and has a number "1" along with a Shamrock Wreath on the front of it. The right side button, which we have pictured, is brass with a figural harp design like Corcoran’s Legion (see: pg. 137 of Lords Vol. I Encyclopedia). The inside is lined with brown polished cotton. The crown is quilted in a large diamond pattern. The leather sweatband is complete. The hat is 3 3/4" tall in the front. The wool has several small moth holes. The left side button has been replaced with a Civil War eagle enlisted kepi button. This is most likely for an officer as the "1" is false embroidery, the crown lining is quilted, and it has the shamrock wreathe on the front. The 35th Indiana Infantry "1st Irish" were issued the standard army issue uniform of the period. The only exception was the issue of an emerald green kepi to set them apart from other units in the army. They continued use of these hats for their entire period of service: Dec. 11, 1861 to Oct. 23, 1865. Extremely rare and desirable, this is the only example of headgear from this unit we have encountered.

Special Thanks to The Manual Of Arms Website for the hat photos"

Click image for larger version

Name:	1stirishbummer.jpg
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	223088Click image for larger version

Name:	bummer2.jpg
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	223089Click image for larger version

Name:	bummercloseup_lg.jpg
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	223090Click image for larger version

Name:	bummerinside.jpg
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	223091
    Respectfully Yours,

Robert Edwards

[I]"Sharpshooters, like fiddlers, are born, not made." - - - - - Major General Ambrose P. Hill, CSA.[/I]

Comment

What's the provenance of that cap?
      Bill Backus

Comment

To the best of my knowledge the cap has no provenance.
        Respectfully Yours,

Robert Edwards

Comment

I have read that the 35th wore green jackets as well when the regiment was formed. When did they stop wearing these. Does anyone have any pictures of the style of buttons worn?

The reason I ask is because I know of a possible uniform which may be an early 1st Irish jacket and kepi. The kepi matches the one in the pictures 100% except no wreath, 1, or buttons. The construction is identical. It is worn whereas the jacket shows minimal wear. The jacket is very well tailored and the fabric matches the kepi and the two items were found together. The jacket has no buttons which leads me to believe when they stopped using the green jackets, the buttons were put on the blue coat.

Angus Smith

Comment

The 35th Indiana "1st Irish" was formed to draw in the strong Irish population of Indiana. A bright green kepi and green stripped uniform was said to be distinction of the unit. There was several issues of the Indianapolis Journal gave description of the regulation cap of green cloth and where to get them. The Manual of Arms website gives an accurate description of the only original Kepi left(Thank you, Mr.Edwards for posting that). It was green because of the close relationship the Irish had with the color and Irish Nationalism.

Respectfully,
            Stephon Hagman
            Stephon Hagman
            Capt. 35th Indiana Co.A,
            "1st Irish"

Comment

Working...
            X