X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS Trousers

I like the shade of blue on the stripe.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Re: CS Trousers

Awesome. The price on these is pretty good considering...
    Tristan Galloway

Comment

I like the belt/waist band. Might have to incorporate that into my next pair.

Also notice the mend/patch job. Johnny did his best to mend clothing as time and resources allowed.
      Bryant Roberts
      Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
      palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Too bad there is not more of a description. I am wondering what the fabric might be. It almost looks like a cotton or cotton/linen blend or something, rather than a wool or wool blend fabric.
        John Wickett
        Former Carpetbagger
        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

If you right click on the photos and select "view image" you'll be able to see them enlarged quite a bit. If you look at the frayed sections near the patch I believe that it shows wool fibers. The fabric looks like a light weight, tightly woven wool/cotton jean to me. The pale blue and white yarns used for the selvedge are my favorite detail; I have never seen a colored selvedge used deliberately as a trouser stripe before.
          Brian White
          [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
          [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
          [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

I got to see these trousers at the last Dalton, GA CW show. They are handsewn from a light twilled cotton. The most interesting thing might be that the blue stripe is woven into the fabric, and they were cut to incorporate the stripe along the side seam. I asked the provenience, which was not specific, though it was mentioned the trousers were sewn by the soldier's mother.
            Very neat piece.
            Last edited by jwoodli; 07-19-2012, 02:09 PM. Reason: misspelled
            J. Dylan Woodliff

Armory Guards
            Snake Nation Disciples

"We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun. He is no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected."- Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Dylan -

Do you mean Provenance or Provenience? What are you doing on these boards right now anyway - don't you have reports to write? (tongue in cheek thumbs up icon)
              Garrett W. Silliman

[I]Don't Float the Mainstream[/I]
              [SIZE="1"]-Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, GA[/SIZE]

Comment

Yeah, Garrett, that one...
                J. Dylan Woodliff

Armory Guards
                Snake Nation Disciples

"We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun. He is no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected."- Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Far be it from me to question their confederate provenance, regardless my first thought was the ante-bellum details of this pair, as I have seen several references over the years to trousers made with an integral side stripe. Here's just one;

"All morning trousers have a broad black stripe up the side seam, this is either woven in with the material, or when that is not the case, a twilled worsted binding is sewn on.” [Phila. Natl. Gazette, Aug. 23, 1831]

The four suspender buttons also remind men of ca. 1840 trousers...

cheers,

Archie Marshall
                  James "Archie" Marshall
                  The Buzzard Club (Saltmakers for the south)
                  Tampa, FL

Comment

Working...
                  X