Wood color of enfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood color of enfield

I recently received a new armisport enfield defarbed by Mr Todd Watts but I'm alittle unhappy with how dark the wood is. I understand originals were both of dark and light colored woods but what is the more authentic color of wood? Thank you.

Respectfully,

Brian Villanueva
    Brian Villanueva

26th AL 150th Shiloh
    150th AP Hill March
    26th NC Maryland My Maryland
    14th TN Co B Antietam NMP Living History

Re: Wood color of enfield

Originally posted by bv10182 View Post
    I understand originals were both of dark and light colored woods but what is the more authentic color of wood?
    You kinda answered your own question, but...
    Short answer: Both (or maybe its neither)...
    Enfields were made in large numbers by a diverse group of firms. It is not unreasonable to expect variances in wood color. There are others on this board who can give more thorough, more well-researched opinions than mine (mine is based simply on my observations of originals and talking with folks smarter and more informed than I), but I will venture to guess that they will, in the end, say that dark wood is not necessarily a "farbism" on an Enfield.

As a matter of fact, last year I saw a mint 1863 Tower Enfield and the wood was a dark-toned walnut.

A thought: If the wood does not match your mental picture of what you wanted your Enfield to look like, you might have a look in the barrel channel and see the tone of the unfinished wood. If it is lighter, you might have the opportunity to refinish it with a lighter shade of finish.

Best of Luck!
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Great advice John. I plan on taking it apart today to check it out. Much thanks!

Brian Villanueva
      Brian Villanueva

26th AL 150th Shiloh
      150th AP Hill March

Comment

In addition to European walnut, some Enfields were stocked with red beech; the same lighter colored wood that the Austro-Hungarians used to stock their Muster 1854, Type I and II, infantry rifles. So, one could reasonably expect to see a range of color in the stocks of original Enfields from quite light to quite dark. Stain applied by the manufacturer, oil, weathering, dirt, and aging would further alter their appearance. The only thing "uniform" about Civil War uniforms and equipment was a general lack of uniformity.

Regards,
        Don Dixon

Comment

Somewhere around here is a pic I posted from the "Pipe Organ" at Springfield Arsenal showing the variance in color of the stocks of those muskets.

Ah... found it, as well as a pic of a "dark stocked" Enfield (not the one mentioned earlier).
          Attached Files
          John Wickett
          Former Carpetbagger
          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Well thank you for the advice and input. I plan on taking apart the gun alittle bit today to get a look at the barrel channel. Much thanks!

Brian Villanueva
            Brian Villanueva

26th AL 150th Shiloh
            150th AP Hill March

Comment

A quick Google images search revealed both light and dark colored stocks even some appearing cherry-like.
              Bob Manzo
              Formerly of the 12th VA Inf Co G "Richmond Grays"

Comment

Hallo!

Correct....

Pre P1853/4 typically used red beech and sometimes walnut. 4th Models/Sniders sometimes had yellow beech making them look blond or pale yellow.

Italian repro's use Turkish Walnut, aka European Walnut, aka Circassian Walnut. (With a nod toward the new Pedersoli line which uses incorrect American Black Walnut.)

In brief and to over generalize...

"Trees" NUG come in a range of colors within the range of that tree that can vary down to the individual tree. Plus, color can range between heartwood and sapwood. And today, they often cut much closer and even into the sapwood side to economize (that is why some italian stocks have a solid color and then a light tannish segment often in the buttstock area).

Surviving originals are often dark because they "absorb" ambient or environmental dirt. Plus, as with oil paintings that have been sealed under varnish and the varnish has darkened or blackened over time.

Sooo, red beech can be light to dark, and even have a reddish cast. Walnut can be a tannish brown down to "tootsie roll" brown.

It is common among "Defarbers" to stain or tint the Turksih Walnut of Springfields to look more like American Black Walnut to the minor extent possible (color, and hiding the wrong grain structure). The same can be true of Enfields where the goal is too look less like Turkish Walnut and more like red beech or walnut.

Many/most lads just modern BLO their stocks when then refinish them and let whatever color is in the wood remain as is.

Here is the buttstock of an P1853/3 made by Bentley & Playfair in walnut:

Curt
                Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 07-19-2012, 10:26 AM.
                Curt Schmidt
                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                -Vastly Ignorant
                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

If I recall correctly, Echoes of Glory (Federal army book of the series), has an Enfield rifle musket that is VERY light in color. Worth taking a look.
                  Jason David

Peter Pelican
                  36th Illinois Co. "B"
                  Prodigal Sons Mess
                  Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

Hallo!

Curt
                    Curt Schmidt
                    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                    -Vastly Ignorant
                    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

When we ordered our 30 Parker Hale 1853 muskets I ordered an additional one.
                      From my experience and ownership of original Snider Enfields the catch was what we called a Tiger stripe.
                      Well I got one out of the litter What a beauty.

Erik Simundson
                      Erik Simundson

Comment

Some more variations.

Click image for larger version

Name:	006 stock marking.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	223109Click image for larger version

Name:	os1428p6.jpg
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	223110Click image for larger version

Name:	Ward&Sons stock.jpg
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	223111
                        Jim Mayo
                        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

FWIW, when I examined the Enfields in the Springfield Armory collection several years ago, the curator told me that before they started cleaning some Enfields for display, they all had dark stocks. As they were cleaned, it became clear that this dark color was from years of built-up grime, &c. After cleaning (not removing any finish, just the grime), most of the stocks were like the lighter-hued examples shown in this thread. Several of them showed soldier carvings and markings that had been completely invisible before cleaning the dark crud off.

Geoff Walden

Comment

I bought this enfield about 25 years ago from The Winchester Sutler for $ 250.00. I had it defarbed by Tom Watts several years ago. It may not be an original color stock as the originals, man it's peerty.
                            Last edited by musketbal; 07-26-2012, 08:37 PM. Reason: left out info
                            Brent Conner

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.
                            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                            X