Actual color of the Redwood trousers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actual color of the Redwood trousers?

Looking to replicate a pair of trowsers similar to the Redwood trowsers. I haven't seen the originals, but in the photo in Echoes of Glory they seem to be a rather dark and dull blue color. Does anyone have any good photos of them, or can anyone tell me what color they might have looked like new? I don't believe they could have ever looked like Childs Confederate kersey - I have seen some Federal stuff darker than that. The color seems much darker than "sky blue" and drabber than Royal Blue. In fact I mistook them to be blue-grey kersey years ago when I first saw the book. Any help from anyone who has ever seen these firsthand would be appreciated!
    David Stone

Re: Actual color of the Redwood trousers?

They are/were a lighter royal blue than the photo in Echoes of Glory, like Childs' C.S. kersey (EOG has numerous photos that do a poor job of replicating the color of the originals). I don't have the photo handy at the moment, but there is a convenient separation in the waistband seam that shows the original bright royal blue in the seam allowance.

-Craig Schneider
    Craig Schneider

Comment

I would echo what Craig said about the photos in Echoes of Glory. The photo of Richard Andrew's jacket from Cedar Mountain that is in EofG looks almost olive drab. The original's color is nothing like the photo. Almost as if it is two different jackets. Best to rely on the people that have seen the uniforms for colors and not that book. Good question to ask.
      Rob Bruno
      1st MD Cav
      http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

A friend and I were fortunate enough to have examined the pants in question recently. I heartily agree with the assessments above and have attached this photo, which hopefully does the color justice (though it still doesn't quite capture the hue). Hope this helps! Cheers, Jim Broomall

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7038.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	810.1 KB
ID:	223119

Comment

And a bit of the original bright royal blue from an unsoiled portion of seam allowance.

-Craig Schneider
          Attached Files
          Craig Schneider

Comment

Thanks, fellows! I have some rather dark royal blue which I have been color removing a bit, and now it favorably resembles in interior of those trowsers rather favorably - but not yet so light as the broken seam shows. And yes, it does rather resemble Childs kersey - a color I would call "sky blue" more than "Royal blue". Any other photos would be welcome, especially of the back belt and the pocket interiors and cuffs - while I am wishing, that is! Jim, how would you say the hue is different, assuming our monitors are the same?
            David Stone

Comment

Craig,
              When I was putting together a mess purchase of royal blue CS trousers I believe you mentioned that the reswood trousers were not a richmond product hut perhaps some sort of imported chausser garment or am I making that up?
              Bryant Roberts
              Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
              palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Bryant,
                I think you are referring to the T.V. Brooks trousers.
                Rich Taddeo
                Shocker Mess
                "Don't do it, you're going to get hurt." Jerry Stiles @ Sky Meadows moments before I fell and broke my leg.

Comment

Rich,
                  You are correct.
                  Bryant Roberts
                  Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                  palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                  X