Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper drum canteen

Hi all,
    I forgot that I had this copper drum canteen in the attic. It measures almost 5 3/4" across and 2" thick. It is exteamely well made and is engraved at the bottom, _ fj, HA 92. It is a repo. I will be at the 150th Battle of Sharpsburg, first part of Sept. with the CMF with the 2nd Maryland Infantry, confederate. We are to use drum canteens if possible for the time frame. In your opinion would this type of canteen be correct even though it is copper.
    Thanks for your insight.,

Brent Conner

Last edited by musketbal; 08-08-2012, 11:08 PM. Reason: Spelling and more info than needed
    Brent Conner

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.
    Benjamin Franklin

Re: Copper drum canteen

Would this canteen be period correct for use as a member of the ANV during the Antietim campaign?

A.Brent Conner
    Brent Conner

Benjamin Franklin

Comment

This was briefly discussed on the other forum: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...opper-canteens

From Tim Kindred
      My question is in regard to use. The only documented ones that I have seen were used for petroleum products for signal corps, home oil lamps, etc. I have never seen a documented copper canteen for water, and, considering the scarcity of that resource in the south, would question why it woyld be used. One canteen of copper could make quite a few percussion caps.

There may well be a documented copper water canteen somewhere, but I have personally never seen one, and as I said, the WHY factor would tend, to me, to negate it's consideration of use as anything beyond a curio example.
      Lewis M Robinson Jr
      Armory Guards
      Snake Nation Disciples

"They were the dirtiest men I ever saw. A most ragged lean and hungry set of wolves. Yet there was a dash about them that the northern men lacked." Maryland Resident upon seeing the Confederate Army

Comment

Well, I'll go with you guys info. I have a tin one, so that's what I'll use. Thanks for the advice.

A.Brent Conner
        Brent Conner

Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
        X