Carpet Haversacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpet Haversacks

Years ago at a local museum I had seen a haversack made from carpet I have read where after 62 it was a common practice, I wonder just how common? Thanks
    Gary Adams

Re: Carpet Haversacks

How common? Who knows. But they were used, probably more than we admit. This old thread may give some insight:

Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Thank you very interesting and helpful!
      Gary Adams

Comment

Gary,
        While not directly related to haversacks if you search the Richmond Daily Whig or the Richmond Daily Dispatch for soldiers with carpet bags you'll find tons of them. Specifically them being sold and market to soldiers.
        Drew
        Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

Thank you very interesting.
          Gary Adams

Comment

I know carpets were used frequently for blankets. But my guess for haversacks, it depends on the type of carpet, like how thin or thick it is.
            Nick Gunning

Comment

Working...
            X