McKensie of South Carolina?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McKensie of South Carolina?

Does anyone have any information on a Confederate manufacturer named McKensie, or McKenzie of South Carolina? They apparently made accoutrements for the C.S government, but I have drawn a blank on finding any information on the firm, or even if it existed.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dave Burt, England.
    David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Re: McKensie of South Carolina?

A. McKensie & Co. of Charleston SC.

Most of the contracts are early war and pretty small, most of the midwar stuff is for minor repair work. Looking for anything in particular?

Will MacDonald

Comment

Quick internet search yielded this result.

Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
      Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
      Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
      Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Dave,

Fold3 has 54 pages starting at http://www.fold3.com/image/#249|43684554. It appears they made infantry accoutrements, sabre belts and also tourniquets for the medical department. There is also a further listing at http://www.fold3.com/image/#249|43668880http://www.fold3.com/image/#249|43668880 showing the company supplying harness buckles.
        Alan Thrower
        Member of The Company of Miltary Historians
        confederateuniforms.org
        pinterest.com/conun/the-battle-of-wilson-s-creek/
        pinterest.com/conun/confederate-uniforms-equipment/
        pinterest.com/conun/civil-war-zouaves/
        pinterest.com/conun/jeff-davis-and-the-south/
        pinterest.com/conun/confederate-generals-flags/
        pinterest.com/conun/3rd-louisiana-infantry-regiment/

Comment

Thank you Gents, I was convinced the spelling was wrong. I thought it would be "McKenzie" and that's why i could not find anything on them.

Dave Burt
          David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Comment

There is also a riflemans box made by this firm I believe was also sold by Old South antiques, If I can dig up the pictures i'll post them here
            John Greenfield

GawdAwful Mess [url]www.gawdawfulmess.com[/url]

Comment

The reason I was asking is that I have found evidence that the company was manufacturing copies of British equipment, to be specific the frog with buckle strap. If anyone else has seen any other copies of British Enfield equipment that has been made by other CS manufacturers, please let me know.

Dave Burt, England

Comment

Working...
              X