Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Museum at Gettysburg

Pards,
    The museum at Gettysburg has just put out on display a Richmond Depot shell jacket made of "Irish Blue wool". The buttons are missing, and it is a bit moth tattered, but overall an excellent piece. I was looking it over, and under the dimmed lights noticed that the jacket was that of a 1st Sergeant. What was really interesting was that the chevrons were sewn individually to the sleeves of the jacket and in a most expert way. Pictures are not permitted in the clothing room, so I have none to post, only the knowledge that it is now behind glass. The jacket rests where General Kemper's Frock coat use to be. A pretty neat item to see if anyone gets over to that part of the woods.
    Vince Jackson
    Straggler mess

Re: Museum at Gettysburg

Was it a RD type jacket, or could it have been a Tait jacket from Ireland?
    Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
    Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
    Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
    Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
    Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Originally posted by tomarch
      Was it a RD type jacket, or could it have been a Tait jacket from Ireland?
      The jacket is unidentified. It has no marking inside and an exact maker of the jacket can't be determinted for sure. The 'style' is very similar to what Les Jenson refers to a 'Richmond Depot' as it has a 6 piece body, 2 piece sleeve and a 9 button front. It has belt loops, but no shoulder straps.

The1st SGT chevrons are cut from 1/4" strips of sky blue kersey and are hand tacked onto the sleeve.

As with most of the garments in the GNMP collection, there is a sketchy history, the aquired it in the 1980's and they label the jacket as a 'jean' jacket, but it is quite obviously a kersey similar to that being imported by P. Tait Company. I looked at the jacket in the early 1990s and the paper work with it made no mention of an 1860s owner.

That's all I know, hope it helps.
      [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks for the clairification, Chris. Will anyone be able to post a photo? :)
        Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
        Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
        Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
        Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
        Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Originally posted by tomarch
          Thanks for the clairification, Chris. Will anyone be able to post a photo? :)
          I have two or three 35mm shots of the coat from 1993, but after the move I haven't a clue where they are. I'll look for them and if I can I'll scan them for you. If not, next time I have an appiontment to look at stuff at the GNMP I'll take a few shots of that one for you.
          [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Mr Daley,
            I wish Gettysburg had hired you to do the write up on the jacket! They claim it is a Richmond Depot type 3 made out of Irish imported blue wool. I tend to think that it is not a Tait jacket, but as you have said, an unknown maker. It fits the pattern of what was produced in Richmond. The trouble I had was there was no way to see the back of the jacket. Thanks for all of the great info on it, maybe a production run in the future?
            Vince Jackson
            Straggler mess

Comment

Working...
            X