Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7th Virginia Infantry at First Manassas

Hello folks,
    I'm looking for information on the uniforms that the 7th Virginia would have worn/been issued just prior to 1st Manassas. I've searched the forum for more information on this topic, but I haven't been able to find anything. Does anyone have some sources I could be pointed toward, or have any information on this topic? I am new here, and I apologize if I missed an article, or if this is the wrong place to ask this. Many thanks!
    I remain your obedient servant,

Thomas Reinacher

[I]7th Virginia, Company C. [/I]

ACWA

Re: 7th Virginia Infantry at First Manassas

Thomas

I am guessing that all the companies wore different uniforms. There is a reenacted group for Company F 7th Virginia and they may have information for you. I have very little information on the 7th Virginia.

According to Frederick P. Todd in his classic, but now dated, book, American Military Equipage 1851 -1872, They were moderately well supplied with clothing. The
    Hazelsood Volunteers, Company E wore blue flannel shirt and gray pants. Most good libraries should have a copy of this book.

Paul Stevenson had an article, Sunday Picnic Uniforms, in the Oct. 1987 issue of Military Modellling that indicates that the Hazelwood Volunteers Company E wore dark blue caps, blue shirts and grey pants. I do not know how accurate Mr. Stevenson's article was or where his information came from. This source is rather hard to find.

Good luck on your search for this regiment.

William T. Carr
    Major (Military Police) Michigan Army National Guard (retired)
    VFW Post 701
    Company of Military Historians
    William Carr

Comment

Thank you William,

The information/resources you provided is a great help, and it is much appreciated. Thanks again.

Thomas Reinacher

ACWA

Comment

I would first start by looking at county records and reading personal narratives. Some finer details can probably be referenced with close examination and dedicated time. I do know that the state came out with a report (I forget the exact title) on arms that were issued to militia and regular troops at the beginning of the war. Checking the quartermaster returns wouldn't hurt either (National Archives).

Also, just to give an educated guess (unproven), parts of the Seventh regiment were raised in the counties north and where I'm from (Albemarle Co.). It's important to realize that both the Scottsville Mfg. Co. and the Charlottesville Woolen Mills were major producers and contractors to the Richmond Clothing Bureau and hundreds of yards of fabric (jeans cloth, cassimeres, etc.) were sold to the Confederate government through the commutation system. I would suppose that their uniforms might have been constructed from such material since it was initially plentiful in clothing Virginia troops.

Good luck,
        Jason C. Spellman
        Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

I'll be sure to look into what you suggested, thanks. As to your assumption, it is very possible. That's something I'll have to look into more closely.

Many thanks,

Thomas Reinacher

ACWA

Comment

Thomas,

My GG Uncle John Thurston fought with Co. I, 7th VA Inf(read my signature, LOL). He didn't enlist til April 1862. But I'm guessing that some of uniforms were still being worn by that time. I have just started to research him and what he wore, and the weapon he carried. When I find out any info, I will send you a PM.
            Chris Birely

In memory of my GG Uncle, Pvt. John Thurston,
            7th Va Inf Co. I (Holcombe Guards), Kemper's Brigade, Pickett's Division,
            wounded and taken prisoner 3 July 1863.

Comment

That would be really great. I'm very glad to see that a descendant of one of those many brave men has found himself on these excellent forums. As I continue to do my research, I'd be happy to share my notes on the subject with you some time.
              Last edited by VAvolunteer; 10-06-2012, 11:13 AM.

Thomas Reinacher

ACWA

Comment

Thomas,

That would be great!! As any and all info that you can give me I will be able to use in my own research. Thanks again and hope to hear from you really soon.
                Chris Birely

In memory of my GG Uncle, Pvt. John Thurston,
                7th Va Inf Co. I (Holcombe Guards), Kemper's Brigade, Pickett's Division,
                wounded and taken prisoner 3 July 1863.

Comment

I don’t have much information on the 7th Virginia at the Battle of Mananas but do have some information on the 3rd Michigan which was fight at Blackburn’s Ford where the 7th Virginia fought. The 3rd Michigan had been issued gray uniforms, but appears to have replaces some of their gray uniforms with a few new blue uniforms and a few new black uniforms prior to the battle. They may have also received some straw hats. The 3rd Michigan exaggerated about this when they claimed they have fought dress in every color of the rainbow. I hope none of my West Michigan ancestors misbehaved in regards to the 7th Virginia. My ancestors probably just lay in the mud “dodging” cannon balls like the rest of the 3rd Michigan.

William T. Carr
                  46th MP Co, 144th MP Co., 146 MP Bn, 210th MP Bn, 177 MP Gp, 177th MP Bde (retired)
                  VFW Hall #701
                  Civil War ancestor Harvey Carr, Hall's Independent Sharpshooters Battalion (Michigan)
                  William Carr

Comment

I am not a soldier, but I wonder what anyone would have done in this situation. Perplexing.
                    Jason C. Spellman
                    Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdbattvet2002 View Post
                      Thomas,

That would be great!! As any and all info that you can give me I will be able to use in my own research. Thanks again and hope to hear from you really soon.
                      As of yet, I don't have too much but I'm still working on it. At my next event, a pard will loan me a written regimental history of the 7th Virginia. I'm hoping that there will be a good wealth of information in it. I'll keep in touch with you!

Thomas Reinacher

ACWA

Comment

Originally posted by Bill52 View Post
                        I don’t have much information on the 7th Virginia at the Battle of Mananas but do have some information on the 3rd Michigan which was fight at Blackburn’s Ford where the 7th Virginia fought. The 3rd Michigan had been issued gray uniforms, but appears to have replaces some of their gray uniforms with a few new blue uniforms and a few new black uniforms prior to the battle. They may have also received some straw hats. The 3rd Michigan exaggerated about this when they claimed they have fought dress in every color of the rainbow. I hope none of my West Michigan ancestors misbehaved in regards to the 7th Virginia. My ancestors probably just lay in the mud “dodging” cannon balls like the rest of the 3rd Michigan.

William T. Carr
                        46th MP Co, 144th MP Co., 146 MP Bn, 210th MP Bn, 177 MP Gp, 177th MP Bde (retired)
                        VFW Hall #701
                        Civil War ancestor Harvey Carr, Hall's Independent Sharpshooters Battalion (Michigan)
                        Very interesting, isn't it? Sounds like the 3rd Michigan had it pretty confusing in terms of uniform. I can't help but wonder what it would have been like to serve with them at Blackburn's Ford. Great information Bill, thanks for passing it on!

Thomas Reinacher

ACWA

Comment

Originally posted by Shockoe Hill Cats View Post
                          I am not a soldier, but I wonder what anyone would have done in this situation. Perplexing.
                          It's very perplexing indeed. Those men really had courage.

Thomas Reinacher

ACWA

Comment

Working...
                          X