CS DB enlisted frocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS DB enlisted frocks?

Trying to get info on DB enlisted frocks. Obviously not much photo evidence of them being used but was wondering if anyone had any other info. I am aware of the Hightower uniform at Chancellorsville.
    Thanks

Re: CS DB enlisted frocks?

Chris
    In the back of Driver's 1st VA Cavalry book in the regimental series, there are several troopers in DB frocks.
    Rob Bruno
    1st MD Cav
    http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Are you looking for original images or surviving garments? Thanks

All the best,
      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Go through private tailoring firms. Plenty of examples coming out of Virginia firms of enlisted men in double breasted frocks, double breasted "blouses" and different items outside of the Jenson typology and imported goods.
        Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

Thanks. Just looking for info as to how common it would have been.
          Rob, sent you FB message.

Comment

here is an image of a enlisted DB frock. I don't have any info on who or what unit or where he hails from. Maybe someone here knows the pertinent info!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	enlisted double breasted frock.bmp
Views:	1
Size:	312.1 KB
ID:	223510
            [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
            Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
            [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
            Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
            Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
            The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Thanks to all who posted. I am assuming this was mostly early war? It would be nteresting to see a few
              DB enlisted frocks in the ranks..

Comment

Chris,
                The good thing about Driver's books is you can see when a trooper enlisted. It might not tell you when he was issued clothing, but if there is a picture of a trooper in a DB frock and he didn't enlist till 1863 lets say, you would have at least a ball park for when he was wearing the DB frock. It might show that they were being worn later then we realize.
                Rob Bruno
                1st MD Cav
                http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Jim Hensley just shared with me a photo of a 7th Florida enlisted man wearing a double breasted frock coat, (Asa Bishop, Co.K).

Here is John S. Pickle, 18th TX Cav:
                  [URL="http://www.texansinthecivilwar.com/biographies/john_pickle.html"]

Ive seen several good photos of reb enlisted men in db frocks in the books by Mr. Field, Jensen, and Arliskas, and a couple in Echoes of Glory, Confederate volume.
                  THe public newspapers of the south published the CS Army uniform regs. in 1861. Even in Florida the people were aware of the regulation branch trim, etc. according to Ellen Call Long. Since tailors generally made double breasted frock coats in the early 60s for the general market, they should have easily adapted the style to the miliary collar, etc. However, from the books by Jensen, Arliskas, and Field, etc. I get the impression that the expense of such coats compared to simple military round jackets made them instantly unpopular during the commutation system. Second, when the CS Govt. did enact laws to issue clothing allowances to all troops, the law noted that it could be any color, etc. the existing uniform regulations notwithstanding. So, the government early on adopted the cheaper jacket for issue. However, since many CS soldiers continued to wear homespun, or rely on the supply of clothing from home, why not a regulation double breasted coat if the cloth, pattern, buttons, etc. were available? Or, if the fellow had the money, why not buy one from the same tailors etc. the officers got theirs...

cheers,

Archie.
                  James "Archie" Marshall
                  The Buzzard Club (Saltmakers for the south)
                  Tampa, FL

Comment

Here's another one, from the 2nd Alabama Infantry, in Troianis' Regiments and Uniforms book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=F_r...easted&f=false
                    James "Archie" Marshall
                    The Buzzard Club (Saltmakers for the south)
                    Tampa, FL

Comment

There is a DB frock in the Museum of the Confederacy with provenance to a 1st Sgt. I unfortunately failed to note to whom it belonged.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DB enlisted frock.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	223512
                      Robert Collett
                      8th FL / 13th IN
                      Armory Guards
                      WIG

Comment

Robert,

That looks like the coat that was made for 1st Sgt. John W. Lester of the 10th Georgia Infantry. According to EoG, he died of Typhoid Fever before the clothing arrived. EoG depicts a matching pair of pants and military-style stand-up collar vest that went with the coat.
                        Joe Knight

Armory Guards
                        Yocona Rip Raps
                        "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

I knew I had seen it somewhere before, I will break out my copy of EoG when I get home this weekend and see it is indeed the same one. That would also explain its near pristine condition. Unfortunately I only had time to make a quick visit to the museum and Confederate White House before having to catch a plane last week. Thanks!
                          Robert Collett
                          8th FL / 13th IN
                          Armory Guards
                          WIG

Comment

Working...
                          X