Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ingrain Carpet/Carpet Blanket discussion

Red,
    With Family Heirloom revamping their production and with Rabbit's carpet being large orders only there isnt much to choose from right now. Word to the wise- DO NOT try to use original carpet.
    Drew
    Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Re: WTB - Ingrain Carpet

Whats wrong with original carpet?
    Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
    16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
    Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

Re: WTB - Ingrain Carpet

Herb,
      I believe there is merit to the forum community in discussing the use of original carpets. If you feel otherwise please feel free to modify the post.

Chris, original 19th century carpeting "ingrain" tends to become fragile after several years of use. Because of its wool content and flat woven nature if its exposed to the elements at all, especially after years of carpet beetles, vacuuming, dust, mites, etc it does not hold up well for our purpose of reenacting or covering us from the elements. I made the mistake young in my interpretive career of using original carpeting which was in incredibly good shape- after just a few events the nature of the carpet and the exposure to the elements left me with a pile of threads.

Most extant 19th century carpeting known to survive, come up for sale, ebay etc tends to be from the forth quarter of the 19th century a decidedly different pattern from those available to Confederate soldiers 61-65. Furthermore, not many pieces of original 19th century carpeting has survived after 150 years. We see older styles and patterns (1810s-1840s) drawn or attributed to Confederate usage especially during the blanketing crisis affecting the eastern Confederate armies during that first winter of the war.

Finally as interpreters, amateur historians, folklorists, and preservationists it is our duty to keep alive an accurate memory of the American Civil War. As such it is also our role to protect artifacts and items which were around from 1861-1865.
      Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

Re: Ingrain Carpet/Carpet Blanket discussion

Good point Drew, I've moved this discussion away from the B/S/T into the authenticity discussion sub-folder.
        Herb Coats
        Armory Guards &
        WIG

Comment

Wow, thats good stuff Drew. I have been watching a few on ebay and thought the pattern looked a little of for 1860s and earlier. I use an original, at least 19th century, coverlet of the standard check pattern of straight woven "window-pane" design. I used it at Wilson's Creek, Shiloh, and several other living histories and it still looks as the day I bought it in an antique shop. Thanks for posting your experience and insight.

Little Rock Castle No. 1

Comment

With people buying repro blankets (Augie, Abe Thomas, etc) at well over $150, I don't see the issue with dropping $150 or so on reproduction carpet from FHW. Heck, maybe someone could talk to Pat Kline and get a Bully Buy together. :tounge_sm
            Jason David

Peter Pelican
            36th Illinois Co. "B"
            Prodigal Sons Mess
            Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

I have tried contacting Pat in regards to getting an Ingrain carpet for use as a blanket and never got a response back (this was a few months ago). It has been mentioned on this forum many times that this is a very under represented item and if someone could get a run made up, I think it definitely would be a good thing to see. Just my opinion.
              Respectfully,
              Jon Bocek

~ The Dandy Man Mess / WA / VLH / LR ~

Comment

I've lost Pat Kline's number when I left my cell phone in a taxi on New Year's Eve in Nashville last winter. If somone would forward me his number via PM I'd appreciate it. Or if someone happens to come across a Samsung Solstice whiule in Nashville, let me know :-)
                Jason David

Peter Pelican
                36th Illinois Co. "B"
                Prodigal Sons Mess
                Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

I recently visited the collector who owns the Amzi Williamson jacket and cap and the J.A. Lisk cartridge box, among hundreds of other Confederate items. He had several carpet blankets purportedly belonging to North Carolina soldiers. Ben Tart, who was with me for the visit, mentioned that North Carolina bought up all the carpet in the Southeast to use as issue blankets for her soldiers. If this is, in fact, true, then it would seem that such blankets are indeed underrepresented in the hobby.
                  Carlton Mansfield
                  26th North Carolina Troops

Comment

Jason,
                    Here is FHW's page on ingrain carpets: http://www.familyheirloomweavers.com...grainroom.html. It has their number listed as 717-246-5797. From what I hear, they really aren't interested in doing small orders, but if we had a large enough group interested in getting these, maybe we could combine our orders into one which could make it possible (like square footage of a room, then we cut it up for our blankets). Just a thought. If it does happen, I am in for one!
                    Respectfully,
                    Jon Bocek

Comment

Contacted Pat Klein, and they are working on a run of these and details will follow, but three styles will be available and a price point around $150 each. We should hear something by the end of the month.

Little Rock Castle No. 1

Comment

Bully! Where will he be selling them / posting the info? So I can keep an eye out. Thanks!
                        Respectfully,
                        Jon Bocek

Comment

Watch for Bully.

Little Rock Castle No. 1

Comment

A "Bully Buy"? Will do, thanks!
                            Respectfully,
                            Jon Bocek

Comment

The book, "Floor Coverings for Historic Buildings" has an excellent chapter on dating ingrain carpets by patterns. There is quite a difference between those of the 1850s and '60s to those produced later:
                              Scott Cross
                              "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Working...
                              X